Thread: External hard drive is not recognized under Mac OS 10.6

External hard drive is not recognized under Mac OS 10.6

My external hard drive no longer recognized (the image no longer mounts on the desktop). This is a Hitachi 2TB HDD (7200 rpm) mounted in a lame brand "Spire" on AC power and connected to my iMac via USB 2 (I tried several USB ports and also a USB up while disconnected for a while). I made the huge mistake of disconnecting before ejecting this from the system, since it is no longer recognized by my iMac (desktop), I have the same message that appears, this disc can be read by this computer "(whereas previously it worked perfectly on my machine). The hard drive seems to run correctly (no strange noises). So what is the issue here why I am facing this kind of issue please help me. In Disk Utility I cannot verify disk and repair it necessarily (button greyed out), even using the DVD installation of Leopard. Does anyone have a solution to submit to me?

Re: External hard drive is not recognized under Mac OS 10.6

You would not have blown something in your box (this is often what happens with boxes of PC assemblers, which are often cheap and unreliable with electronics)? You do not have a USB-SATA kit to test it? If you have then you just check this actually when I was going thorugh the same issue so at that time I have tried this and it works in my case. And the driver gets blown in my case. So just check it and inform me here.

Thank you for your answers, At first, I will use another box (better quality) for SD, we'll see if that solves the problem. The formatting is the solution or possibility that I feared the most, I wish I could retrieve my precious data stored on SD, I tried to repair with tech tools, but nothing for Windows I can make an attempt to see what happens. Again thank you for your advice, I'll keep you informed on the results.

In this you just reformat it, it does not erase your data, fortunately. it just makes them inaccessible (erasing the card that tells the controller and is stored in the system where such and such a file). But as they are already that you do not change too much. This is where a data recovery software comes into play, since he goes through the disc from beginning to end, and try to reconstruct the files from pieces he recognizes. I do not know Mac by cons. And I do not know if the known Windows know how to make do with HFS +. At worst, there are companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Mechanical problems, only logical guarantee success and prices not too crazy I hope.

You can use a program like TechTool Pro from Micromat . It is also included with AppleCare. It can make data recovery (and many other things, like a check up of the components). Not cheap but very good tools. Otherwise I do not know it, but to test: Mac File Recovery, or of Prosoft Data Rescue (the publisher of the excellent Drive Genius), see that of Disk Doctors. So just try it and inform me here that what is happens.

Thank you for all the info, then scroll to the format, I will initially use the kit that I ordered from macsales in principle I receive early next week. If this does not work I try formatting the SD, followed by recovery of data with a soft indicated. And in this I saw, I downloaded 3 demo version (Mac File Recovery, Disk Doctor, Data Rescue) and I tested for now with Mac File Recovery (Stellar Phoenix) to see what it gives, I have not yet formatted the HDD, just to get an idea on the mode of operation of this type of software. Thank you for all the info and tips you gave me.