Thread: desktop icon doesn’t appear after resuming Window 7

desktop icon doesn’t appear after resuming Window 7

Hello, I am having a dell laptop with window 7 operating system installed. I love working with it, but since few days my laptop is behaving abnormally. When I am continuously working on my laptop everything works fine but when it is idle for some time and the lid is closed, and when I open the lid of my laptop to resume with my work I found that the screen is blank with no icons on the desktop. Now it also happens like when I log in to the system, desktop icons are not shown. I have to forcibly shut down the laptop by pushing the power button. Can somebody please suggest me what to do.

Re: desktop icon doesn’t appear after resuming Window 7

Hi, I was also having the similar problem, the desktop icons do not show when I resume back after sometime. So I used to end all the programs and reboot my computer. If this problem again persists then switch to task manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del.Then go to process and try to end all the process including system files also. Then shut down your computer from the task manager. After shutdown press the power button and start your computer. Now see if the desktop icons appear on the screen. By doing this you don’t need to forcibly shutdown your computer.

If your desktop icons doesn’t appear on the screen after you left it idle then here is another option for you that you can try. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to view the Task manager window. ).go to process and select explorer.exe, end the process. Then Go to the File and click New Task(run Here you can type “explorer .exe “.then you click the ok button. This will again restart the windows explorer and the icons will be loaded in to the desktop.

It seems that some of the components in your windows explorer has got corrupted due to which desktop icons are unable to load. You try to start your computer in a safe mode instead of starting windows normally. In the safe mode perform system restore. Be sure that system restore is not turned off. If this don’t work as system restore is not turned on then start booting your system from the safe mode and then from the start menu select RUN and there type sfc /scannow.It will check windows install for any corrupt file if any and will ask you to repair using your Windows 7 boot Cd.

Thank you all for giving me your precious time and helping me to get rid of this problem. I tried booting from the safe mode and run the command sfc /scannow.it checked the windows install and found some of the corrupt file. I was asked to repair it. I got the windows 7 boot cd and performed repair. Now my windows explorer is working fine and the desktop icons no more disappear or freezes. Thank you all once again.