Thread: How to enable Windows XP Mode x32 on a 64 bit version of Windows 7

How to enable Windows XP Mode x32 on a 64 bit version of Windows 7

I have a Windows 64 bit laptop. I had bought this a new one. Now I had transferred all my data from the desktop to laptop. In my desktop I am using Windows XP. There is an application which does not work on Windows 7. It is an accounting tool. Now there is only one way to use this on my the laptop and that is by virtualization. I found Windows XP mode for Windows 7, but the issue is that I had never worked on this and need help for the same. How can I configure this on Windows 7 64 bit and what is the performance of the same. I have 4GB ram and that looks quiet enough for this operating system. Does it will effect my systems performance. Thanks.

Re: How to enable Windows XP Mode x32 on a 64 bit version of Windows 7

It is one of the new tools, announced already in Windows 7 and it has a ability to put Windows XP on your system without installing it. Windows XP for Windows 7 Mode allows you to easily install and use windows applications. It uses virtualization technology like Windows Virtual PC, to provide a virtual environment to run an older version of windows on new. With this tool, applications for Windows XP can be run without problems from a computer with Windows 7. There is not a performance issue nor any major error. The application works with ease.

It is quiet simple to enable the same. For that first thing you need to do is make sure that our virtualization technology is activated from your bios. It means that you must have a support for the same on motherboard and also the CPU should support hardware virtualization. Or else that will not work at all. This can be checked using the identification tool of Intel or AMD-V Technology and Microsoft Hyper-V Compatibility Check. Check that first and then only go further. If that is not provided then you cannot use this. You might need to search for some other alternative.

That is right first you need to check the hardware support. If you do not have that on your system then it is useless. Enter your bios and enable hardware virtualization. It is mentioned as Hyper V support. Virtualization technology can be enabled in the BIOS settings under the System Configuration tab. Once done then you will need to download some important application for that. The first is Windows XP Beta Mode and Windows Virtual PC Beta. Both are around 900MB download. Download then and run the setup. There is no need to do much settings here.

I don't know whether you are aware about the system requirement for this or not. But as you said that it is a 64 bit system then it will work. You need atleast 2GB ram support and around 15 GB of hard drive space for virtual Windows environment. So check that your system has enough disk space left. Get both the downloads what is mentioned above and run the setup. Follow the screen instructions just. Users can access devices connected via USB to Windows 7 directly from Windows XP Mode. These devices include printers and scanners, flash drives and external hard drives, digital cameras and more.

If the system is not strong enough to hold the pressure of virtualization then your system might work slow. It is necessary to have a cpu with that acceleration support. XP mode is provided to give you full support for third-party programs and provide the same working environment without creating a dual boot system. Windows XP Mode, also known as XPM or Virtual Windows XP is a virtualization solution AMD and Intel processors. This virtual environment provides a free copy of XP. XPM works similarly to Virtual PC, but with one big difference and that is, XPM does not require a virtual execution environment, since it is based on Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization and MED-V.