Thread: Disk Defragmentation does not moves all my files to front disk

Disk Defragmentation does not moves all my files to front disk

I need some help regarding moving my data. I had Disk Defragmentation so that it can arrange all my files to the front part of the disk. But later on when I checked the same nothing has happened. I want to shrink my NTFS volume so that I can gain some extra gbs of empty space. I want the same to copy my data. Right now there are 3 partition in which 2 are almost full and there is no space in them at all. The first C drive has 50gb of unused space that I can use. But I do not want to directly paste the data in that, because that can cause a virus issue. So how to do that now.

Re: Disk Defragmentation does not moves all my files to front disk

For this I will recommend you to use any third party software. If you are using Windows utility for that then you might face error on the same. It is not necessary that data lies on what part of your hard drive. When you shrink that the application itself verifies all necessary information. But there is risk of shrinking of your system partition. If something might wrong happen then your operating system is gone. You will need to re-install windows. I did the same on Windows 7 and without any error I gain around 80Gb of free space. 40Gb was left for Windows.

This is not a beginners job. There is a need of search here how to get extra space out of your hard drive without disturbing the current files. It is possible in Windows itself but to some extent only. Run Disk Degramentation for some hours. First run Disk Cleanup and then do that. Leave the system and let it be for some hours. It will scan and adjust the drive space. If this does not work then there are other third party disk defragmentation tools that can guide for the the process.

It is not necessary that the defragmentation can move all the files to the first part of drive only. It depends on the tool you are using. Right now for your work I will better recommend you to use Partition Magic. An dedicated utility to manage hard drive space and partitions. It works well and there are less chances of errors. You can run the tool and directly shrink your partition. Gain as much as you can and then format the empty partition. There are other tools in the same category also. But this one is easy.

This process is much more functional and easy on Linux. Just by running some commands you get your partition shrink. I will too recommend you to use any third party software for that. You can run partition magic and get the size reduced to the extent you want. Other wise it is not possible without completely formatting the system. You can also merge the partition with other, but that will need full formatting of both the partitions. There is a way called extend partition by which you can add extra space to the current partition in Windows 7

I will recommend you to use GPartEd CD. This is a bootable Linux Live CD that will help you to re-size your NTFS partition. It is very nice tool which creates an extra partition from existing one and let you decide the size and support. It is also possible to move the entire data at the front side of the hard drive. It has inbuilt defragger tool that helps you to scan the drive and move the data at the beginning of the drive so that you can create a new partition out of that. You just need to boot in cd for the same. UltraDefrag is an another free defragger utility for the same purpose.