Thread: Windows Vista “Unable to establish ownership on Local disk D"

Windows Vista “Unable to establish ownership on Local disk D"

I am currently facing problem in accessing my local drive in windows vista. Is anyone here to assist me to modify the permissions and grant rights to local drive D. I have revoked from permissions to local disk D in Windows Vista operating system, and at the present I am not able to modify permissions or have ownership as Administrator. I tried to restore my OS to earlier well condition even this did not work. I also tried to change it from security it show that unable to establish ownership.It shows that Access denied. If anyone ever faced this kind of problem and got the solution please let me know.

Re: Windows Vista “Unable to establish ownership on Local disk D"

How you stuck in this problem means how did did this happen? What were you attempting to get done? Have you tried to get the ownership using command prompt? When command prompt windows appear run it as admin then type: takeown /F D: /r /d y after that click on enter button. If this operation is winning full, you will get a message SUCCESSS now owned by owner of the computer. After that to consign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for that drive. Type icals D/grant administrator then permission is granted to sub folder.

I would like to thank you for giving your suggestion. It did not solve out my problem. I could not perform the command you told in your post. I think there is error due to space or capital or small character. I am doing any silly mistake. Please let me know the proper syntax. The drive letter is still marked as access denied. Is there require any spaces between them? Should I type: takeown /F (D /r/d y? . Please help me I have important data on my local D drive.

I have also similar kind of the difficulty that I am not able to entré in to my CD drive although it is display on my computer with the name of the CD. It is drive E: means CD drive E: When I click to open it appears: "Can not show to current owner." It is shown all the time when trying to access it. Whenever I click on the security option for the unit I am not able to recognize the owner of the unit and tell me to have ownership. And whenever I attempt it display a message that “unable to establish ownership”.

You should try this as well. It may help you to solve this problem. First of double click on my Computer from the desktop once you have opened my computer just right-click on the local driveD then click on the property here you will get a new window from there select security option. From here you can be able to grant revoke or modify and set any rules or permission to every user including yourself. I hope this may help you. If you need any further assistance needed please let me know.

If this was not the case for support or not - or other suggestions that did not receive any help - then sorry, but I am out of ideas. Take the machine and the drive to a local technology (not a BigComputerStore / GeekSquad kind of place) so that someone expert can diagnose what is happening in hands-on.
    For the rest of "me too" posters - please, please, please make your own new post and include all the details.