Thread: Administrator password lost for Mac Os

Administrator password lost for Mac Os

Hi,I am having an Apple laptop that has got Mac OS X operating system. It is for my personal use but last month my brother took it with him for the purpose of some work. I dint set any administrator password for it. But my brother set his own administrator password and lost it. Now when I got my laptop back I am not able to log in to the system as it asks me for the password. Please somebody tell me what should I do to again make my laptop reusable.

Re: Administrator password lost for Mac Os

Ok if your brother does not remember the password then no problem. When you bought your apple laptop, you must have been provided with the Mac OS X install disc. You can break and reset your administrator password with help of the Mac OS X Install disc. Switch on the laptop and insert the disk in cd Rom drive .Then run the disk and you will be guided through, how to reset the password.

If you are having the Mac OS X Install disc, then you can easily reset the administrator password of the system. Insert the disc in the cd rom drive and when you hear the start up tone press the C key and hold on unless spinning gear is visible. Now when it asks you to choose the language, select your language and click continue. Then from utilities choose reset password. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to set password. After it is done you can restart the computer and log in.

Mac OS X Install disc is a very useful utility disc through which user can get unrestricted access to the computer. With the help of this disc you can gain access to the computer whose administrator password is lost as well as set the new password. To set the new password you need to change the log in keychain password in the key chain access. So keep your Mac OS X Install disc in a safe place .

If you are not having the Mac OS X Install disc, then also you can create the new admin password by deleting a specific file. For this you need to reboot a computer. Hold Apple key +s when you hear a chime like sound. When you get prompt to enter the terminal commands hitting return after each line type the following command ----mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    shutdown -h now
    and when you restart your computer you need to delete the old password and set the new one.