Thread: Transfer files from DOS to Windows XP computer with USB flash drive

Transfer files from DOS to Windows XP computer with USB flash drive

By the use of DOS commands, I have saved a number of old CAD drawings from an older PC onto a USB pendrive, to be capable to relocate the CAD files onto an additional PC running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3. However the problem is the older DOS based CAD files stored in USB storage were not recognized via Windows Explorer. How could be so? While the old HDD connected through USB to the Windows XP PC successfully permits files to be transmitted. There are plenty files created under Windows XP on that USB stick and many of them are not noticed in DOS system. However not any of the folders formed or files saved on the USB stick from the DOS computer are recognized via the Windows XP.

Re: Transfer files from DOS to Windows XP computer with USB flash drive

While you pronounce DOS commands, is the older PC still running DOS, otherwise you just utilized the command line to start the copy (and the older system was running several edition of windows)? I just surprise how you include DOS drivers for USB as well as USB memory sticks. Since intended for the files themselves, can you effectively re-copy the files off the USB pendrive backward to the older computer? (IF you attempt this, don't overwrite whichever files on the old PC, you don't make out what you may be copying off the USB storage drive). This would inform you if the files are essentially going to be copied to the USB storage otherwise if there are additional issues.

Therefore Windows can't observe whichever files written through DOS, does DOS distinguish the files it wrote itself? By the use of DOS, You have to copy files to that USB portable stick. After this eliminate and reinsert the stick once again. Afterward try to copy them back to the same system running with DOD (this would confirm DOS is essentially writing the files into a format it recognizes). Next, do again the procedure by the use of windows, ensure it can write to the stick, and afterward copy reverse from it. This just for confirming that everything is working fine. It is OK then you can obviously write the files.

I think that either DOS otherwise Windows has a trouble by way of the USB stick (i.e. either one cannot observe the files it copied), so attempt reformatting in normal FAT. If the USB portable drive is bigger than 2GB you may have issues in it. If not, you have to try some kind of serial transfer program. Once I am in same situration to get the files from DOS computer to my Windows system. For that purpose I have used Laplink several years ago prior to every PC came through Ethernet.

It seems to me that transferring the files or folders from the DOS computer to the Windows XP running computer by the use of USB memory stick might not be a possible task for some reason. It is either the format of the system store its data otherwise the wrongly written criteria which cannot be detected among them. For this kind of issue there is an easy solution if you really want to transfer the files among them. You just need to get any third party DOS networking program to move the files from one to anther as a LAN or any type network connection. I hope that you got my point.

I presume that your new PC has an Ethernet connector? And that your older PC has an Ethernet adapter too? In that case, you merely require an Ethernet cross cable, provide a fixed IP Ethernet address toward each system, and generate a shared directory on the older DOS PC, and make use of the mouse on the Windows XP workstation, escalate the shared directory and copy each and every one of the files from the shared directory toward the new Windows XP PC hard disk drive Otherwise you can directly remove the HDD from the DOS computer and attach it to your windows XP computer and work in it as secondary HDD. After this you can move files from secondary HDD to primary HDD.