Thread: Printer Spooler not working

flupsie Guest

Printer Spooler not working

I have a problem in that my print spooler disappears when I boot up my PC in the mornings. I am using XP Pro

I was advised onto go to Start, Control Panel, Performance & maintenance, Administrative tools and then to double click on services. When clicking on Services under Administrative tools a message comes up advising that active X controls could not be displayed-see attachment.

It would be appreciated if someone could assist me
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Printer Spooler not working

You have to go to Start> Control Panel (in classic veiw) > administrative tools > services and in there you will find print spooler, make sure that service is set to automatically run, you can also start the service from there and if it can't run it will give you the error as to why. Let us know what kind of error it is giving so that we can diagnose further to this problem.

flupsie Guest

Thanks for the reply. I followed the steps, but when clicking on services, a message comes up (see screen shot attachment in my earlier post), that one or more of the active X controls could not be displayed)

It would be appreciated if you could advise as to how I can resolve this

It seems like the Print Spooler is dependent on other services which are not running and which is why you are facing this kind of issue. I would recommend you to perform the following few steps:
    • Go to Services and right-click the Print Spooler service and select the Properties option.
    • Go to the Dependencies tab.
    • Here in the first box you will be able to see the list of all of the system services that are needed to start the Print Spooler service and for its smooth running. These are called dependencies
    • Make sure that you have started all the services in which the Print Spooler is dependent on.
    • Right-click the services and go to Properties and then change the Startup type to Automatic for each of the services on which Print Spooler is dependent.
    • Also make sure that you have installed all the necessary drivers for your printer.

flupsie Guest

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Hi knight1,

Can you try to uninstall and reinstall the printer. The spooler crashing is normally caused by corrupted printer drivers. If that doesnt work then start the computer in safe mode in order to remove spool files. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Restart your computer and press the F8 key repeatedly while the computer is starting. On a computer that is configured to run multiple operating systems, press the F8 key when the Boot menu appears.
    2. Select Safe Mode when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
    3. If the Boot menu appears again and you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the operating system, and then press ENTER.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600