Thread: How to get rid of old installed Windows corrupt file permanently?

How to get rid of old installed Windows corrupt file permanently?

I had this query. Recently while trying to install 64 bit Windows Vista OS in my system I met with few crashes. I wish to remove these corrupt (Windows.old.000) files as it is eating lots of my disk space. I want to regain those spaces. So I want to ask is it possible to delete these old files that take up so much space. Is it fine if I delete that? Suggestions will be appreciated. Help!!

Re: How to get rid of old installed Windows corrupt file permanently?

It’s pretty much easy to get rid of those files. The best way to remove Windows.old.000 file is to Cleanup your disk. You can do that by following these steps. Click on Start on the leftbottom of your screen. Navigate to All programs >> Accessories >> System tools >> Disk Cleanup. A dialog box with a prompt of selecting the disk from combo box appears as you click on Disk Cleanup. You can choose the disk drive, from the combo-box, to which you want to perform cleanup. Finally click Ok. Now the system will scan your system for unnecessary files. Another dialog box will appear. Look for “Previous Windows installation” checkbox. Mark it (check it by clicking) and press OK. The Disc Cleanup utility will do the rest. Wait till the system removes the files. Remember only Administrator has got the privilege to delete all these old backup files, so make sure you are logged in as an Admin User.

Software’s are available in the market that helps us to remove all this unnecessary, space consuming files from our system. You can search for them on Internet. One popular is the CCleaner software. It is very handy to use. You can also try TuneUp Utilities. They come with lots of utilities and other helpful functions. I am also using one to clean my history, cache and past log files. I am not sure whether it will help you on your query. Hope it helps. Good Luck.

Thanks for both the suggestions. They both were very much helpful. I tried the first one before. Thanks for the step by step guidance. It took a lot of time to delete all my old backup files and previous windows installation files, but the wait was worth it. I regained almost 5-6 GB of my disk space. All thanks to you guys. I even downloaded the CCleaner software. It is also very much helpful. Good to delete all my old internet history and cache files.

speedupcomputer Guest

It is very easy to rid of from old corrupt files and can free upto 2-3 GB of space
    you can download any pc optimizer software
    speedmypc is also a good software for this purpose

yes, thats correct. Optimization tools can do the best and headache free job for removing the corrupted entries from current or old windows. While searching i found a great article with many such tools, their definition and with their download link. You must check it out: Best PC Optimization Tools

I know the above solutions helped you out, but I just found an interesting way to delete previous windows installation unnecessary files. It’s in a scripted format though. You just made a .bat file by using any text editor (like notepad) and saved it at easily reached directory (better if you save at C drive). Write the following code inside the batch file:
    takeown /f %1 /n /d y <press enter>
    icacls %1 /grant administrators:F /t
    Now go to start, click on run, type cmd and press enter (to start command prompt). Run the file at C:\dir where it is saved: abc (where abc is the name of the batch file). On the next line type rd /s C:\windows.old.000 and press enter. Your windows.old.000 file will be deleted.