Thread: Windows Vista error - File: \boot\BCD Status: 0xc000014c

Windows Vista error - File: \boot\BCD Status: 0xc000014c

I am running Windows Vista on my computer and am facing some issue after restarting my computer. Whenever I restart my computer then I am getting an error message saying that “Windows Boot Manager. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...File:\boot\BCD. Status: 0xc000014c. Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.” Even after inserting the Windows installation DVD this problem is not getting solved. Any ideas?

Re: Windows Vista error - File: \boot\BCD Status: 0xc000014c

The error that you are getting relates to the hard drive that contains information used to boot your computer which seems to be altered. There are various reasons for this problem but if you have not installed any new software or new hardware then there could be 2 issues which is related to either hardware problem with the hard drive or there is a virus infection in the drive. So, you will need to troubleshoot this 2 things first in order to proceed further.

Can you try to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. To do this click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

You can get more information about it here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Well, if the Vista DVD is not working for you then you can do 2 things to solve this issue that do not require Vista disk. First, you will need to use the Last known good configuration in your system and see if that works. To do this, restart your computer and then start pressing F8 keys on your keyboard. When you get the Startup options menu then you can select Last known good configuration and let the computer attempt to boot into Windows. If this doesnt work, use the similar method to get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and then use the sfc /scannow command at the cmd.