Thread: Unable to install the windows 7 service pack 1, Error “SQMAPI.dll missing”

Unable to install the windows 7 service pack 1, Error “SQMAPI.dll missing”

I recently bought a new system at home and was trying to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on it but while updating it I got an error message that states "Windows Update_C0000135 windows Update_dt000, SQMAPI.dll missing" and after that it was not getting installed. I have already performed Windows Update troubleshooting but still it will not work for me. Can anyone tell me how do I solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Unable to install the windows 7 service pack 1, Error “SQMAPI.dll missing”

Can you try to run system File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files in your system. To do this, click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

More information can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Re: Unable to install the windows 7 service pack 1, Error “SQMAPI.dll missing”

Well, have you checked whether the problem is occuring due to faulty RAM chips installed in your system. You can find that out by testing the RAM sticks in your pc by running a tool called Memtest86+ that you can download from the internet. Just burn it to a disk and then try to test the RAM sticks and see if it outputs any error from the memory. If there is a bad memory stick then it will notify you immediately. Try to run it overnight.

I guess that the hard drive repair stage might take long time on large drive. I would say that you should take out the hard drive and put it in another computer and backup any important data that you have. After that try to do a clean install on this hard drive and see if it gives any kind of error. The installation will normally take 20 minutes or so.