Thread: Will Windows 7 run DOS applications?

Will Windows 7 run DOS applications?

Currently I have installed Windows XP on the computer of mine. well currently I am having some DOS applications which are running on the Windows XP of mine without any trouble. I have decided to upgrade the computer of mine with Windows 7 from Windows XP. Before upgrading with the operating system I want to know that all the DOS applications which was running on the Windows XP would run on the Windows 7 or not. let me know opinion of yours on this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Will Windows 7 run DOS applications?

I let you know that it is not possible to run the 16 bit code on the 64 bit of the operating system. So only once chance is to get that particular thing is to run under the Virtual Machine. I recommend that You should download Windows Virtual Machine for the Windows 7 which is a specifically 32 bit of the Windows XP virtual machine. Once you have downloaded and installed you will be able to run 16bit code such as DOS program on the computer of yours.

Well looking at the situation which you have provided over here I highly recommend that you need tp install some third party application software to meet the requirement of yours. Personally I am suggesting that you should download and install DOSBOX on the computer of yours. You will be able to get the DOSBOX from the official website of the developer of this particular program. Well I am hoping that DOSBOX would help you to meet the requirement of yours.

You can use the following instruction once you have installed Windows XP mode on the computer of mine. you have to click on the Start button and go for All Programs and simply click on the Windows Virtual PC and finally click on the Windows XP Mode in order to start with the set up. You need to sue the instruction which is provided by the set up wizard. Let me know if you are having any query or an issue when you are wanted to set up.

As one of the user in this thread stated that Windows 7 is not having nay support for the 16 bit subsystem so you will not be able to run the DOS application on this particular Operating system Windows 7. I think it is everything dependent on the Microsoft to provide such sub system for which we are looking for. If there is no sufficient demand to justifying the investment then I am don’t think that Microsoft would make available that particular thing to users like we.

If you are really looking to work in the DOS environment then you may try to create DOS USB flash drive and simply load the DOS based application on the same. Well I am having a laptop and I am able to boot the laptop of mine using DOS within the fraction of second. I have also done some Googling and I have found that one can run the DOS under Virtual PC on the computer. For that purpose you need to set up Virtual PC on the computer of yours.

Carrmack Guest

yeah offcourse it will work.

yep, windows 7 supports dos application, i m using it