Thread: Move bootloader from one partition to another

Move bootloader from one partition to another

Hi, I am having the laptop that is having two partitions as C: and D:. Previously, I was having the Windows XP installed in C: partition. And xp bootloader is also installed in the same partition. I have also installed the windows 7 in D: drive by means of windows 7 boot loader. Now I am outside space in drive d: and I need to remove windows xp. The difficulty is that boot loader is lying on that partition and it is not allowing me to format this c: partition. Can you please tell me that how I can move that to the windows 7 partition that is D: drive? Thank you!!!

Re: Move bootloader from one partition to another

You can try to take the xp drive maintenance equipment unit of Windows 7. Now put in the Windows 7 CD and boot your computer up, so the first boot is cd. And you must have a repair function of the existence, if not download a recovery CD for Windows 7 and put that in and start. If you cannot locate a recovery CD then Windows 7, XP otherwise Vista recovery CD be supposed to function for that. Just have the bootloader operating systems. I had a alike condition and that's what helped for me.

If you are not able to boot from the Windows 7 then you can also try to make use of the disk management and this will do the rest of the work for you. You will be able to delete the XP partition and after that merge the space of that partition to the other partition that is drive D:. This is the best way that I can suggest you to get out of the problem and I am quite sure that this is going to help you. Please replay is you are having any problem to perform this action. I will let you know the exact way to do that.

If you installed Windows 7 most recently then I would like to tell you that your boot loader is in fact the Windows 7 Boot loader which is for the reason that when you installed windows 7 then Windows 7 itself had to generate the boot loader therefore you could boot Windows XP as well. Still when you boot the computer and is providing you the Windows XP as primary option is since the boot.ini is configured in that manner. Go to the C drive and unlock the boot.ini (that is hidden) by means of the notepad and ensure if both operating systems are there. I hope that this will solve the problem for you.

You can also give an attempt to the Partition Magic for doing that. The program allows you to build those modification mechanically (building the partition like active as well as create boot loader intended for it. Once you finished with that then you can remove the c: drive. if you administer to boot Windows 7 as well as remove the XP partition then you forever going to contain your operating system like D: that is not a extremely good thought since of a few programs that only functions on C: drive. So you should make the backup first.