Thread: Windows 7: ‘windows recent places is always empty’

Windows 7: ‘windows recent places is always empty’

I think this particular forum is really helpful for me. I have posted number of question and luckily all those question has been successfully solved by the users on this forum. I have installed Windows 7 ultimate on the computer of mine. Whenever I am trying view Recent Places in the Window Explorer it seems to be empty always. Anyone having idea why this particular thing is being empty? Any suggestion to meet the requirement would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Windows 7: ‘windows recent places is always empty’

Well I have seen number of Windows 7 users which are having the same problem on the computer of yours. there are number of question which I am going to ask over here. From when you are facing this particular problem on the computer of yours? is there any recent changes on the computer in terms of software? Do you have installed any antivirus program on the computer I am suspecting that this particular problem is happening due to virus attack on the computer of yours?

I am providing following steps which you can use to Remove Recent places and restore to Default.
    • You have to click on the Start menu and click on the Computer.
    • Now look on the left side pane and simply right click on the Recent Places and click on Remove from the right click context menu.
    • You have to right click on the Favorites and go for Restore favorite links.
    • Finally you need to close the Windows Explorer and restart the same. let me know whether is an issue or not.

I have done lots of research work on this particular problem and I have found that this particular problem is happening due to corruption of user profile on the computer of yours. I recommend that you should create a new user account on the computer and see whether the issue is persisting or not. If issue does not exist then I am sure that there is a corruption in the user profile of yours. Well you need to transfer all the file and settings in the newly created user profile.

I am providing registry solution to fix the problem of yours. Make sure that you have backup the registry key so that you can restore the same if something wrong happens.
    1. You have to launch the registry editor on the computer. You have to click on the Start button and enter regedit in the Run and press enter.
    2. Now browse for the following registry key.
    3. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder
    4. You have to double click on Attributes in DWORD which given in the right hand side section. You have to put a9400100 and click on Ok button.
    5. Now reboot the computer and let me know the results of the same.

I let you know that recent places are seems to be empty. Well I have found the way to fix the matter. You have to right click on the Start menu and go for Properties and simply turn on the turn on the ‘Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and taskbar.’ I let you know that this particular option is turned off by default on the computer of mine. I am hoping that it will help you to fix the problem of mine.

I am suspecting that this particular problem is happening on the computer due to virus attack on the computer of yours. Do not panic this issue can be resolved by using good Antivirus program on the computer of yours. According to me you should use KIS 2011 for this particular issue. Well you should install as well as update the same on the computer of yours. Run a virus scan on the computer and restart the computer once scanning is gets completed.

Unless you have enabled Jump Lists, the Recent Places folder does not populate.

None of the complicated solutions worked for me. But then I remembered I'd recently disabled jump lists (right click on toolbar, then properties).

This immediately fixed it. OK I'm using WIN 8 consumer preview but I suspect this apples for WIN 7.

Hope that helps somebody sometime.