Thread: Format a System Partition created by Windows 7 OS

Format a System Partition created by Windows 7 OS

I am looking for a way to remove the system managed and protected drive which is installed by Windows 7. After freshly installing Windows 7 it made 2 partitions that has actual storage partition and other partition which I am not able to get rid of due to some unknown reason. After removing the Windows 7 partition it is showing me as unallocated space. I also tried to rename the partition but it was not working and when I try to format it then I get an error that says 'Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk'. Can anyone tell me how do i get rid of this partitions? Thanks

Re: Format a System Partition created by Windows 7 OS

Can you try to mark a partition as active and see if that helps. Follow the below steps to do that:
    1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. On the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.
    3. Right-click the primary partition that you want to make active, click Mark Partition as Active, and then click Yes.

You can get more information here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Re: Format a System Partition created by Windows 7 OS

If the above solution doesnt work, then try this method. Click on Start and then in Search bar type cmd and run it as admin. After that type DISKPART in cmd. Now type LIST DISK and then type SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of old Windows drive). Now type LIST PARTITION and then type SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive). Now type INACTIVE and then type Exit and then Exit again. Now restart your computer.

If you want to format or delete the Windows 7 partition then you can follow this steps. First click on Start and then go to Control Panel and then go to System and Maintenance. After that go to Administrative Tools and then choose Computer Management. Now go to Storage and then click on Disk Management. Now right click on the Windows 7 partition and choose the format option to delete the volume and then click ok, thats it.