Thread: Error 0x800F0A12 while installing the Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Error 0x800F0A12 while installing the Windows 7 Service Pack 1

I was running a Window Vista on my desktop machine and I was upgrading this machine by installing the Windows 7on it. I have got stuck while installing the Service Pack for this Windows 7 operating system. I am getting an Error 0x800F0A12. Does anybody has any idea about this error as what it indicates and how can I solve it? Please help me, I am not much aware about the computing stuff.

Re: Error 0x800F0A12 while installing the Windows 7 Service Pack 1

I have got this error several times while trying to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Maybe this can help someone with the same or similar problem. I was having an error that was originating by the reality that I have Windows 7 Professional installed on a hybrid GPT / MBR disk. Windows 7 32 smidgen akin to an MBR partition and my added operating system you wish a GPT partition for utmost disk performance. The extra OS is not vital for the error message at hand, so no require to state here. Besides, I was using a third-party boot manager with the active partition is the partition with another operating system that runs on a GPT partition. It seems that the installer for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is the active partition boot files you require to partition upgrade. If Windows 7 is not the active partition the update program does not know where to find the necessary files to update and generates 0x800F0A12 error. There and reserves system partition on the hard disk, either. The immediate problem was solved when I set the Windows 7 partition as active. After doing that, the installation of Service Pack 1 and was completed without problems.

Here is what I did. I cannot guarantee that this will work for you but it did for me. Prior to running Service Pack 1 installation, confirm to be definite that your Windows partition is obvious as the active partition. You should do this from within Windows 7. I used two programs to do this and to change it back. but it already is the active partition what I did and wrote below won’t help you. Initially, I ran Disk Management from inside the Computer Management console. After that right-clicked the Windows partition and striking it as active. I kept changes and leave the Computer Management Console. Then I came across the Windows 7 x86 Service Pack 1 installation of a DVD I created from the ISO file supplied by Microsoft. I observe no cause why Windows Update does not effort as well, but if not, download the ISO straight from Microsoft. You should authenticate your installation of Windows 7 to download the file. Do not hazard receiving it from anywhere else or you would be able to make things poorer for your system.

Once the system restarts and completes the upgrade and configuration, run DISKPART command line as an administrator or user administrator and follow the steps to mark the partition to the boot loader is running third as active (if that's your setup, as it is with my system.) You will be unable to do this from inside the Computer Management Console once more to DISKPART is what you require. Finally, after working with DISKPART Microsoft, restart the system again and everything should work as expected. If not, you may need to reinstall or restore your bootloader again.

Note: If bad hard drive by running other commands to fix the MBR or to set the boot code of Windows 7 may have problems, moreover, that this information cannot help.

No need to run fixmbr, bootsect, BootFix run the repair from the DVD, etc, in cases like the one mentioned above, for this problem for a hybrid disc, alone, or a single disk with multiple operating systems. Simply check the Windows partition as "active" done the job without problems since the Service Pack 1 installer looking for the active partition of some of the files that need updating. When not in the standby partition that produces the exception and generates the error 0x800f0a12. You can exercise DISKPART to compose both alteration and the utilize of PC Management Console to spot the Windows partition active and DISKPART to mark the original active partition that was active previous to the change.

Use fixmbr, bootsect, BootFix, or the like, can really make issue poorer if you're not cautious. The majority expected is not even essential to run any of these. Best way to tell is to check that the partition is actually marked "active" with the Computer Management Console snap-Disk Management. If it is not and has been receiving 0x800f0a12 error, use Disk Management to mark the Windows partition as active and the system should work fine. Just remember back to what was so careful to observe that the partition was active before the change and use DISKPART to change it back so you can boot the other systems with a single disc - if that is their configuration as as it was with mine.

If you do not have a hybrid GPT / MBR unit or more operating systems on a single unit, this information that I posted above does not belong to you. On the other hand, can also help others with a similar situation if you are running Windows 7 on a Mac, and actually also use a single GPT, hybrid / MBR unit, as can be done with various flavors of BSD and DarwinPorts. The same may be the case for a unit that has been GParted. GParted and related utilities also a hybrid GPT disk partition MBR, and I provoke state that some have done presently that and not have been attentive that they did. Others are alert, I'm confident, but not sure what to do with Service Pack 1 when you cannot install because of it.

My solution is simpler and they can make your boot loader does not work. It is also the easiest thing to check when getting the above error. If this is not the case of the configuration, it is possible that solitary of the problems declared in the Microsoft site may be at blunder and have the key to these problems.

For folks with multi-boot systems:

You do not have a problem if you install SP1 on a system (most likely a desktop) with different operating systems in different units. I triple boot on hybrid GPT / MBR filesystems on a netbook, a nettop, a mobile workstation from Dell, and a MacBook Pro . I'll report on whether the "mark partition active" method works reliably on all my systems. I generally use NTFS on the system MBR as my boot disk W7-64, then Ext4 with a swap file for Ubuntu and HFS + for OS enough. I complete my fourth visible allowable partition, NTFS MBR partition storage accessible from the 3 operating systems and not daily (HFS'm looking at you), or limitations on file size (FAT32'm looking at you). I find my setup irresistible, but I did not recognize I was threatening not to be updated with Windows 7!