Thread: How to turn on Numlock in Windows 7?

How to turn on Numlock in Windows 7?

Recently I have purchased HP G60 530US laptop on which I have installed Windows 7. I really love both laptop and Windows 7 of mine. Well I am having a particular query and I am looking for the solution for the same. I am hoping that all the Windows users will help me to meet my requirement. The query of mine is very simple I want to activate Num lock at the time of Windows login. Any suggestion if you are having with you let me know as soon as possible. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to turn on Numlock in Windows 7?

Well looking at the situation which you have provided I recommend that you need to use following thing to meet your requirement. You have to launch the Notepad and copy paste the following code on the Notepad.
    Code:
    set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}"
    You need to save that particular file with the “numlock.vbs” including double quotes. Now copy that file to user startup folder which is located at the user profile path. The default path can be stated as Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

The script which provided on the previous post can be used with Group Policy. To do the same you can use the following thing. By default path for logon script is %SystemRoot%\System32\GroupPolicy\User Computer\Scripts\Logon.
    • You have to click on the Start and click on the Run and enter MMC and hit enter. It will launch Microsoft Management Console.
    • Now you have to click on Add/Remove Snap:-in from the console menu.
    • Click on Add and go for Group Policy and again click on Add.
    • You need to choose desire group policy object. Once you have selected click on Finish and Close and OK buttons.
    • You have to double click on Logon script object and click on Add and go for Browse. Now go for Numlock.vbs script.
    • Now open the same and click on the Ok button.
    • Now again click on Ok and simply close the console.

I think for this particular requirement you need to perform BIOS setting on the computer of yours. for that purpose you have to do following steps.
    • You have to reboot the computer of yours and press F12 from the keyboard in order to enter into Boot menu.
    • Now you have to click on the System Setup from the Boot Device Menu.
    • You have to expand POST Behavior from the left side pane.
    • Now search for the Num Lock key option. You have to tap on the enter from the keyboard and perform the desire changes. You have to tap on the enter from the keyboard and perform the desire changes.
    • Finally you have to exit the setup and restart the computer of yours.

I am providing following solution in order to meet the requirement of yours. well in this particular solution we are going to work around with registry key of the system.
    • You have to click on the Start button and click on the Run button. Now type regedit and press enter.
    • It will launch registry editor on the system of yours.
    • Now browse for the following registry key in to registry editor.
    Code:
    HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Now you have to change the value to 2 of InitialKeyboardIndicators. I am hoping that it will help you to fix the problem of yours.

I am not aware of windows 7 but I know something about windows Vista on this particular Num Lock matter. Well I am a Vista user and I have found the Numlock key remains turnoff when it gets start. It remains of until and unless any user logon to the system and initializes the user profile on the computer. Windows Vista is having capability to remember last status of the Numlock I mean to say that when the Numlock is turn on at the time of logout then it will remain turn on when you login into system again. Same thing will also happen for when Numlock is turned off.

I am providing all the InitialKeyboardIndicators which you can use while the changing the value using registry editor.
    0 :- Turn all indicators Off (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
    1 :- Turn CapsLock On
    2 :- Turn NumLock On
    3 :- Turn CapsLock and NumLock On
    4 :- Turn ScrollLock On
    5 :- Turn CapsLock and ScrollLock On
    6 :- Turn NumLock and ScrollLock On
    7 :- Turn all indicators On (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
    I am hoping that all the above mentioned values will help you to fix the problem of yours.