Thread: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" error when Trying to run sfc/scannow on windows 7

"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" error when Trying to run sfc/scannow on windows 7

I am running Windows 7 on my computer and if I am trying to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt then I am getting an error message that says "windows resource protection could not run/start the repair service". I have also tried to run System Restore and that too is not working properly. Does this means that there is some kind of keylogger installed in my pc? Can anyone tell me how do I fix this problem? Thanks

Re: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" error when Trying to run sfc/scannow on windows 7

Can you try to open the Services MMC Snapin by clicking on Start and then in the Search bar type in services.msc and search for a service called Windows Modules Installer and ensure that the service is started. Incase you are using a 64bit windows operating system then you need to make sure to run the cmd.exe in 64bit and not in 32bit. Hope this helps.

Re: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" error when Trying to run sfc/scannow on windows 7

I will suggest you to boot from the Windows 7 install DVD and then select to repair the corrupted OS that you have. After that you need to run sfc /scannow again with offline options and check if the system will repair or identify corrupted files or not. If still you are facing the problem then I will ask you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 by backing up your important data first in your computer.

Yes, you need to perform the SFC scan with offline option, so that you can solve your problem. To do that follow the steps given below:
    1. Open the start menu
    2. Under that type cmd under the search box.
    3. Now on the command prompt write the following text:- sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows (here c means system drive) and then click enter.

I hope this will help you out to solve this issue.