Thread: System Restore not working: Error code’ (0x80070005)’

System Restore not working: Error code’ (0x80070005)’

Well this particular forum has helped me many time to fix the problem of mine. Hence I have returned over here and I am hoping that this time also this forum will help me out to fix the problem of mine. I am having an issue particularly when I am attempting to perform a system restore on the computer of mine. The error message which I am getting can be described as follow.
    ‘System Restore did not complete successfully, Your computer's files and settings were not changed.
    Details;
    System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
    An unspecified error occurred during System Restore, (0x80070005)’
    I am unable to find out where is the root cause of the problem. Any idea to fix the problem will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: System Restore not working: Error code’ (0x80070005)’

You have provided all about the error message but forgot to provide some vital information regarding the computer of yours. let me know which operating system do you have installed on the computer of yours? From when you are facing this particular problem on the computer of yours? have you done any hardware or software changes on the computer of yours? I am asking just for the curiosity which Antivirus program do you have installed on the computer of yours? Let me know the answers of the above mentioned questions as soon as possible.

If you are using Windows XP on the computer of yours then I recommend that you should see that System Restore Service is running on the computer.
    • You have to click on the Start button and simply click on t Run and simply enter compmgmt.msc and press enter from the keyboard.
    • Now click on the Services in order to expand and go for System Restore Services.
    • If you see status of this particular service is not started and then simply click on the Start on the Toolbar.

I think you should see that system restore is make enabled on the drive where you want to do system restore.
    • Now click on the Start button and right click on the My Computer and choose Properties from the right click context menu.
    • Now go for System Restore Tab.
    • Make sure that status column of drive will display Monitoring if system restore is enabled on the drive. In case it is not displaying then simply click on Turn off System Restore on all drives. Now click on the OK button in order to enable it.

Well looking at the situation you have provided I am suspecting that this particular problem is occurring due to antivirus program on the computer. I recommend that you should disable the security and try to perform the system restore. If still there is no change in the situation I recommend that you should uninstall and reinstall the antivirus program on the computer of yours. Then try for a system restore I am hoping that it will help you to fix the problem of yours.

I think you need to view log file of the failing of the system restore on the computer of yours so that you can find root cause of the problem. You can use the following instruction in order to view log file of the same.
    • You have to click on the Start menu and Go for Run option and enter eventvwr.msc /s and hit enter from the keyboard.
    • Now simply click on the System and go for Source tab. Now double click on the Services and evaluate the event description so that you can find the root cause of the problem.

Have you tried to perform system restore into safe mode or not? You can use the following steps to enter into safe mode. You have to reboot the computer and Press F8 from the keyboard. It will redirect to the Advanced Boot Menu where you have to choose System Restore and press enter. It will boot the computer into safe mode. Once your computer is boot in to safe mode you should attempt to perform system restore and see whether it is working or not.