Thread: Windows 7 - 7100 lost User desktop, desktop shortcuts, start menu items & quick launch shortcuts

Windows 7 - 7100 lost User desktop, desktop shortcuts, start menu items & quick launch shortcuts

I've been running Windows 7 as a dual boot with Windows Vista on my HP laptop (dv7-1285dx). Has been working well, with the exception of missing at random and the recovery of the nvidia 185.85 driver. At one point during the execution of Windows 7, accessing my user profile on the Vista partition to recover some files and photographs. Windows 7 is stopped and issued a message that was trying to access the user profile. After a short wait I was able to access the images and everything seemed fine. Soon after, a friend borrowed the laptop to connect to the Internet but the shortcut link in IE, said he could not find the IE. All desktop icons and Quick Launch Buttons displayed similar results. After rebooting, the desktop background was replaced by a black background and all desktop shortcuts were gone. Open the Start menu appear only online (empty). There was not any shortcuts. I tried a Windows Restore, but issued a message saying that access was denied. further digging revealed that some facts seem to be losing too. The components of some programs were nowhere to be found.

I gave up and started a fresh format and install Windows partition 7. Everything was going well until a new access to user profile Windows Vista to access an image to use as wallpaper. After 10 minutes I was experiencing the same exact problem. Has this problem has been documented by anyone else? Is there a known solution? Can anyone confirm that access to a Vista user profile corrupted user profile in Windows 7?

Re: Windows 7 - 7100 lost User desktop, desktop shortcuts, start menu items & quick launch shortcuts

Usually after a reboot the problem disappears. Sometimes it takes more than a reboot, but I have not found any corruption in the profile. It's like the files are locked or something and windows can not access them. It occurs most frequently when, for example, I closed the window without logging in first, simply by clicking on the red stop button in the corner or by sending a signal to ACPI by pressing the power button. But as I said is not happening every time I do. Anyway this is a version of Windows 7 so I guess that all information about this is sent to Microsoft by the Center for Action.

Re: Windows 7 - 7100 lost User desktop, desktop shortcuts, start menu items & quick launch shortcuts

I know that Win XP is not an application for removal icon is not used. It will ask you to remove unused icons from your desktop. Is there a similar application to win 7? My shortcut icons just disappear. No need to shut down the computer for this to happen. I will put back on the desktop and a couple of weeks that just disappears. I found no loss of data or programs. Only the loss of shortcuts. And always the same. I have games on this machine, so that almost all the shortcuts are for games. Some of the games are included in the softwear win7. Solitaire, Chess, dredge, FreeCell, these are some of them disappear. I checked the register and shows no action. I even tried restoreing the system to a past date, and never returned. It is the ghost in the machine, feeding shortcuts. LOL. There must be a common explanation for this.

Has a key to this trouble has been unwavering? A moment ago I have found the same problem on my PC. I am running updated Windows 7 which is not even single month old but got the same issue reported here. "The desktop background is replaced by a black background and all the shortcuts on the desktop has been opening the Start menu only displays one line (blank). There were no shortcuts for all."

Later than trying to log in two times, at last took a temporary profile, which permitted me to way in the system. As soon as attempted to access files in my profile manually routing via the system (C: \ -> Users -> Me -> Documents, etc) I may well get what it wanted, but the entire records show a padlock icon in the icon, representing that it had been barren? Enormously not any of my programs are running, speedy keyboard commands to access the programs (eg Windows key + E for Windows Explorer as a result an error message ).... I will try to restart now hopefully I can access my normal profile ... This problem seems to "disappear" after a reboot a few (?), Which I would not consider a solution or answer. I'd rather not try a system restore or format now, and now have no way to back up data at this point in time (which, apparently, I have to fix quickly!).