Thread: Boot time can exceed 10 min

Boot time can exceed 10 min

Hello friends, I have windows XP in my computer. In the start everything were working very well. From a week ago I am having problem with my window. Normally it takes 25 second to boot. Now when I start the computer it takes long time to boot. It takes about 10min to boot. Some time it hangs on windows logo. I am not getting where problem is. What should I do to boot normally. Where is actually issue. Can anybody here explain why it happens? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: Boot time can exceed 10 min

Hi friend I got your problem regarding boot. Try the instruction given here. Click on Start button then click on run and then type msconfig in the run window. Now you will able to see configuration window. In this window select Start up tab and in this tab checked option that you want to start in the window start up. You can also select boot tab and change the booting time as per your requirement. Or you should defragment your hard drive to speed up your window start. If any have more information please tell me that would help me.

Open msconfig from run and choose selective startup disable the all thing that take long time to load. Click on apply button. It will be asked to reboot the window. Click on reboot window and reboot. See, Does this problem keep occur? I not, Start adding items back to msconfig .one at a time, reboot after each change or when you add it, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's possible you may just be stuck with a 4 minute boot.

Boot speed also depends upon how much RAM you contributes to your computer boots up. You have a many unnessary loading up and no RAM for it to support, then you start paging in and out of the pagefile which is very slow due to it residing on the hard drive. Booting speed and the performance of computer is tied closely to how much RAM you have. XP by default loads from 250 to 512Megs of RAM depending on the performance options selected and how you have your GUI.

Hello friend first I would welcome everyone on this forum. The easiest and safest way to seep up boot process is to do it in Safe Mode instead of playing around with the security. This is just like you are replacing the XP logo screen. These are system protected files, it will recreate itself if you try to delete it in normal mode. For the record, I haven't used this mode, because my boot up time is already about 20 sec which is standard. So try It.