Thread: Blue Screen of Death STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}

Blue Screen of Death STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}

Hi!

Ok, so yesterday I had noticed that my anti-virus had popped up several times showing that I had various Trojans (kheagol.(enter various single letters here)). I tried to quarentine and remove them through the program but once I would restart my laptop to "complete the process" I started noticing issues. I would keep getting pop-ups after login saying something along the lines of "could not open____ ...missing vgm.dll..." So I thought that maybe in the process of removing the virus' it removed vgm.dll. I decided I would try to do a system restore hoping that would solve (or at least help) with the start up problems. Well it made it 3/4 of the way thru the restore process and restarted... Which ended up giving me the BSOD. Below is what comes up on the blue screen:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
    The image version.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum doesn not match the computed checksum.

Well once I saw that I was stumped. So I tried starting in Safe Mode and every other mode offered in F8... Nothing worked. I've tried putting the boot disk in and trying a repair -- it says there is nothing to repair and that I have no hard disks????

I am trying very hard to be able to logon one more time, just so I have at least a chance to throw all doc's, etc onto another hard drive. So if anyone knows how to get passed this stupid blue screen (without having to dump the system or lose any files)... I'm all ears.

I guess I should add that I'm using XP Pro.

I just realized I put this in the wrong section... is there anyway I can move it to the XP Help?

Re: Blue Screen of Death STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}

As per the blue screen error that you have mentioned you can try to extract a New Copy of the User32.dll File from the Windows XP CD, follow the below steps:

Extract a new copy of the User32.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the drive:\Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk, where drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:

Insert a Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Microsoft Windows 98 Startup disk into your computer, and then restart the computer.
    When the Windows Startup menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Start Computer with CD-ROM Support, and then press ENTER.
    Make a note of the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive.
    Rename the User32.dll file to User32.old. To do so, type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:
    Drive:
    cd windows\system32
    ren user32.dll user32.old
    Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    Extract a new copy of the User32.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk. To do so, type the following lines at a command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CDROMDrive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:
    a:
    extract CDROMDrive:\i386\user32.dl_ Drive:\windows\system32\user32.dll
    For example, if your CD-ROM is drive E and Windows is installed on drive C, type extract e:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll, and then press ENTER.
    Remove the Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition startup disk from your computer, and then restart the computer.

More information can be found here