Thread: How to turn off the automatic restart for Windows Update on Windows 7

How to turn off the automatic restart for Windows Update on Windows 7

Hey when I wake up my PC has been restarted. I did not perform it to restart, I did not need it restarted, as well as I had documents opened that I am not able to recover for the reason that it restarted. It restarted since Windows Update had an only update to install. I am working on Windows 7; consequently I do not have the group policy editor, as well as the registry key that several websites declared to utilize to disable the restart is not there. Remember, I just need to stop an involuntary restart. I do not require turning off Windows Update, as well as I do not mind being encouraged to restart. I just do not need my PC restarting on its own yet again.

Re: How to turn off the automatic restart for Windows Update on Windows 7

From my opinion to solve this problem related to How to turn off the automatic restart for Windows Update on Windows 7. In Windows Update you have to press on change settings. In Important Updates, choose 'Download updates however let me select whether to install them'. This will provide you the control on while to install as well as restart if necessary. May you got solve after trying this.

Windows 7 automatic updates assist to keep your PC secure as well as modern with the most up-to-date bug fixes as well as security patches. It extremely suggested that you have it enabled, however can be actually annoying while it constantly nags you to reboot your PC. The good news it is extremely simple to disable the auto-restart utilizing Local Group Policy Editor.

Press the Start menu in addition to type "gpedit.msc" (with no quotes) in the search box as well as press the enter key. This will initiate the Local Group Policy Editor. On the left corner of Local Group Policy Editor, expand to PC Configuration as well as after that Administrative Templates after that Windows Components. Afterward go down in addition to choose Windows Update. Double press "No auto-restart by means of logged on users for planned automatic updates installations" alternative. In the properties window that comes into view, change the alternative from "Not Configured" to "Enabled". Press "OK" in addition to close Local Group Policy Editor. Windows will no longer encounter you to start again after automatically installing updates.

IF YOU are not able to utilize gpedit.msc then you be able to utilize the following remedy!
    1. Go to the Registry Edit
    (WindowsKey + R, "regedit.exe")

2. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

3. Otherwise, carry on through these steps...
    1. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    2. confirm the above key is highlighted as well as open to the edit menu in addition to select New > Key
    3. Name the key WindowsUpdate
    4. Now, do again the above steps, apart from highlight WindowsUpdate as well as name the next keyAU
    4. through WindowsUpdate\AU highlighted, generate a new 32-bit DWORD known as NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
    5. Right click on your recently produced value as well as offer it a value data of 1 (hexadecimal)
    6. Double check the entire the steps to confirm you did everything
    7. Close Registry Editor.

At the moment, still with the gpedit.msc remedy, this will disable automatic restart on significant updates; however it will still nag you a bit regarding restarting it. I do not mind this, in my opinion, for the reason that I generally advise it to remind me in regarding 2-4 hours depending on what I am doing. The characteristic is helpful if it is just a notification, however while it starts making choice on whether or not to restart or shutdown my PC is while I get extremely irritated.

So why not just utilize "Download updates however let me select whether to install them"? For the reason that I still would like it to automatically INSTALL them. I just desire to select while to RESTART my PC. There is a massive difference among automatically installing as well as restarting to configure, plus just automatically installing. I am careful of computer. I am not unintelligent sufficient to never restart my PC, particularly while it requires it.