Thread: How to completely disable the Mac Application Store

How to completely disable the Mac Application Store

I have multiple Macintosh computers on which I work. But all this Macintosh computers are on an unmanaged network. Now I need to control the applications that are installed by me on this multiple computers. Now I can do it but it’s very tedious work because I need to go through parental controls on each of this machine. So what I want is to disable or remove the Mac Application Store from this multiple machines after updating to 10.6.6. So please reply to this question as I am facing some problems with this.

Re: How to completely disable the Mac Application Store

If you want to completely disable it then you need to delete it. If you are working with multiple computers or a similar environment where this app is inappropriate then just delete it. This will mean that the Search Application store button won’t be working when opening an unknown file type, but that is a minor issue and you can easily solve it. So this is what you need to do, that it. You just have to directly delete the the Mac Application Store and it will be fine.

I tried to follow the steps you had mentioned in the solution. But I feel that trashing App Store.app entirely seems to reset the ‘App Store’ link in the Apple menu back to ‘Mac OS X Downloads’ .It also does almost what I want except when opening unknown file types, the dialog asks that if you want to search the App Store during which you hit the button and it does nothing. It doesn’t move forward after that. Please provide me with the solution for this. This solution is useful but to some extent. There are still some problems that are present.

The solution to this is that you don’t have to do anything if such message comes. Thrashing the App Store.app will it self help you to solve your problem. While opening unknown file types, if the dialog asks that if you want to search the App Store then just ignore it because it will not harm you in any case. This will help you to manage multiple computers even with unmanaged network available. Also you don’t need to go through parental controls on each of this machine.

Thanks a lot for your solutions. They really helped me and worked for me as I wished. I completely deleted the App store.app from my PC. Also while opening unknown file types the dialog asked me that if I need to search the App Store. And I just allowed it to let it go. Now I can control the applications that are installed by me on multiple computers. Appreciate you for your time and thoughts that were provided to solve this problem.