Thread: Mac OSX error message’ INVALID VOLUME FILE COUNT and INVALID VOLUME DIRECTORY COUNT’

Mac OSX error message’ INVALID VOLUME FILE COUNT and INVALID VOLUME DIRECTORY COUNT’

I have installed Mac OSX on my MacPro. Well I am getting invalid volume file count and invalid volume directory count on the system of mine. I am posting error message below which can be stated as follow.
    Invalid volume file count
    (it should be 520176 instead of 520178)
    Invalid volume directory count
    (it should be 152750 instead of 152748)
    After prompting with above mentioned error message my system get s lock up. this is my second computer on which I am having the similar issue. Please let me know if you are having any solution regarding this situation will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Mac OSX error message’ INVALID VOLUME FILE COUNT and INVALID VOLUME DIRECTORY COUNT’

Well looking at the situation let me know whether this particular problem is happening frequently on different hardware or not. If your answer is then I suspect that some software on the computer of yours might be causing compatibility issue or something like that. Let me know the list of all the software which you have installed in the computer of yours. Once you provided the names of the software which have been installed I can let you what troubleshooting steps should be taken in order to fix the problem of yours.

Re: Mac OSX error message’ INVALID VOLUME FILE COUNT and INVALID VOLUME DIRECTORY COUNT’

Yes I think you are right. I was also suspecting that the some of the software which is causing compatibility issue on the system of mine. Well providing below the list of the software which I have been installed on the computer of mine.
    • Quickbooks
    • Control Center software
    • VZ Acccess Manager
      This particular software helps me to tether Blackberry as a modem.
    • Blackberry desktop manager
    Let me know how above mentioned software can cause the issue on the computer of mine. Anyway thanks a lot for the prompt reply of yours.

I think you have to run Disk Utility program on the computer of yours. Now question is how to run Disk Utility on the computer of yours? Well its very simple and it consist of the following simple steps.
    • You unplug all the peripheral which is connected with the computer of yours.
    • Now you need to boot your computer using install Disc simply run Repair disk on the computer of yours.
    • You will find option for repair disk from the utility menu.
    • Now you have to insert Install Mac OS X disc, on the disk drive and simply reboot the computer.
    • Now press and hold C from the keyboard.
    • Now it will prompt for the selection of the language.
    • You need to go for Utility from the menu bar and choose Disk Utility.
    • Now you need to choose desired disk volume from the list provided and click on First Aid.
    • You have to click on Repair Disk and reboot the computer once you have finished with process.

I was having the same problem which you have already mentioned in this particular thread on forum. Well I have investigated regarding this particular problem and I have found that this problem is happening due to bad user account on the computer of mine. As I did I know only one thing that is recreation of new user account? Once I have created the new account I need to go for manually create a group for the replacement of the new account which was not having group membership. I also recommend that you should use thing like disk warrior if this particular problem is caused by the directory issue on the system of yours.

I think I recommend following software which you can sue to fix the problem of yours. Software’s are Backup drive, Disk Warrior, and SuperDuper. According to me Disk Warrior is the best solution for the problem of yours so far. Why because it has ability to fix the problem which Apple First Aid is unable to perform. If still issue persists then I think you have to go for Apple Hardware Test with RAM test. You can run RAM test on the system of yours by using ‘MEMTEST’ command on the terminal of the system.

Well you have to update your Mac OSX with 10.6.4 and also attempt to update all the software’s which you have installed on the system of yours. Another thing you can do is repairing the file permission of the on the computer. Whenever you install something form the Mac OSX using package file then Bill of Materials is stored into /Library/Receipts/ file. Whenever you run repair disk permissions Disk Utility it will look into .bom files in to /Library/Receipts/ and simply compares with actual permissions which was listed. If there is any difference found then Disk Utility will notify and perform the changes using repair feature.