Thread: Making a duplicate copy of Mac OS installation disk

Making a duplicate copy of Mac OS installation disk

My friend has given me the mac 10.6.3 installation DVDs. I need to give me back. So I need to make the duplicate copy of this disk so that I can use the installation disk whenever I want without the use of original retail disk. So I just wish for to know that is there whichever windows base disc burning program by using which I may perhaps create backup/clone of the DVDS. I know how to use the Mac computer as well as Windows computer. However I am not familiar with the softwares which will accomplish this task?

Re: Making a duplicate copy of Mac OS installation disk

First you need a DVD-R or DVD + R dual layer, the latter costs less and are more readily available than the DVD-R dual layer, but make sure that your Mac's SuperDrive is compatible with this format. Holding down the Option key (alt) click on the Apple menu and choose System Profiler, select the "Burn Disc" and check "DVD" + R is that between the formats listed, otherwise you have to buy a DVD-R. In order to successfully burn a DVD copy of the installation of any version of Mac OS X, including Snow Leopard, you must not use the Finder or burning software like Toast Titanium why do not you would get a bootable duplicate (that allows' boot from the DVD). Fortunately, Disk Utility (Applications / Utilities) allows you to make a copy "bootable" DVD of Mac OS X.

So I also think that the Apple OS are not protected CDs / DVDs. The only protection is one of the bundled software, so the Tiger installation DVD as a Mac mini is installed on another Mac gets. So I think that you can make the duplicate copy of any MAC OS X installation CD/DVD. For this my best choice is Nero. Because it lets you to easily create a Bootable disk. Otherwise you can make use of Roxio. This also has the similar feature that we can see in the Nero. Otherwise you can directly copy the disc as it as and burn it into another DVD/CD depending on your requirements.

If you use Mac OS 10.3, you can make a duplicate of a volume in a disk image using Disk Utility (Applications> Utilities), and return to later restore its contents to a new record. Note that this operation can even make a backup of your hard on to include all the performance characteristics of the operating system, which means that at any given time you could go back to recover your hard drive from the image created, even from a remote server (think of it as a full backup).

I think that you don’t need any kind of third party software or burner to create duplicate copy of the Mac OS installation disk. However the Mac OS itself has a good utility for burning the CD/DVD. Before burning or copying the image of an original disk to another disk you need to ensure that the original disk is protected or not. If it is protected then the CD might get damaged. First procedure is to get the copy of the image. Then copy that image to another disk using Disk Utility. That’s it.