Thread: Bad sectors in NTFS partition

Bad sectors in NTFS partition

I was downloading the some stuffs from the internet at that time the system suddenly turned off. I them rebooted by machine but it displayed me BSOD after the Microsoft logo. For that I have installed the latest version Ubuntu and attempted o mount but it showed something that it has NTFS problem. The disk manager in it tells that the computer contain a single bad sector. I was using Windows vista Home premium with 320 GB WD HDD. It is a laptop which I have issue and the laptop is from hp 6846tx which is nearly 2 year old. Please help me to solve this problem.

Re: Bad sectors in NTFS partition

Yes it is probably be the issue of the bad sector. The NTFS need to be fixed otherwise you can’t able to boot in windows. For that you can use the Microsoft tools to repair or fix the NTFS file system. If this is not possible for you then what have you to do is just get into the Windows Safe mode. You can easily go into the safe boot menu when the BIOS windows appears on the screen, if you managed to do then run the chkdsk /f and reboot the windows correctly twice as recommended and then attempt to boot in Ubuntu. If this doesn’t seem to be work for you then attempt force mounting of NTFS partition. It is a unsafe method but you should try by hoping luck.

There are severa l things you can do if the NTFs partition is giving much problem. But the one thing is you cannot fix this much either from the Linux or from the Ubuntu. You will need a Microsoft help for this. What you have to do is get a Windows Repair disk or Original Windows CD/DVD and then run the repair utility form that. It will probably bring the Windows back to the normal position by correcting bad sectors. You should use the Chkdsk command to fix whichever problems with the partition. Rather than installing the Linux Ubuntu you might have used the Live CD of ubuntu. May be it can able to get into the partition.

First of all you need to run badblocks. Badblocks will get you the listing of bad blocks, however in accessing each and every one blocks it creates the HD remap blocks within, clearance the block. It comes with read-only mode by default. For this you almost certainly necessitate to make use of the read-write mode. This is non-destructive, however must not be episodic. If that damaged boot sector is presently writable then you should run the cfdisk to obtain the partition list back. After that you can try by mounting the NTFS partition. You can also use the other utilities you cannot able to boot from Windows vista.

swwets Guest

I try to use Knoppix for our students and I am testing one of my machines with Windows XP installed. It seems that the HD has bad sectors that can not handle ntfsresize.

I think that you should try to use the PartitionMagic for your computer and see if that is able to help you. It is a computer program designed for hard disk drive partitioning. This is initially prepared by the PowerQuest corporation but now owned by Symantec. Anyway, download and use that and I hope that this will solve the issue for you.

As far as I know the bad sectors may occur in different way or reasons. Some of them are not much harmful and can be eliminated easily. But some major cause the drastic damage to the computer which cannot be repaired later on easily. But by luckily I have managed to resolve this problem without much stress. I have really fixed the bad sectors lying on the HDD. For that I have used the HDD disk utility given by the manufacturer. (SeaTools for DOS). It allows me to fix the NTFS by running the chkdsk /f /r from a bootable CD. If you have one, then you should try this.