Thread: stpd.sys error issue (possibly more?)

Exclamation stpd.sys error issue (possibly more?)

Like a good girl I searched the forums for help on my issue, and I thank anyone who has posted information on how to remove it. I read:

What is sptd.sys?
    Safe Mode: Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys
    SPTD.sys error in SafeMode

I am posting more on the behalf of my boyfriend who's computer has decided to give him this error when he tries to boot up.

Last night he got malware/scareware on his PC and he went to reboot it because it wasn't allowing him to run any programs except MSN (and I'm sure a few other programs he didn't notice). I suggested that he let me send him a program that was a backup task manager that I had named paint.exe because when I got malware, it'd let me run Paint, so I just named my backup task manager that and it'd let it run. There I could find the pest and close it up so I could run a scan to remove it. Should he have done that instead?

Anywho, after that, his computer wouldn't start up correctly. From what he's told me, when he loads Windows in a normal mode, it starts with the normal logo loading screen, then a blue screen flashes (he swears it isn't blue screen of death), and then his PC crashes. If he goes into safe mode, he gets the sptd.sys error, but he can't do anything, only accept cancel, and when it does that, his PC reboots. So he essentially can't get in to do something like:

Quote Originally Posted by shahid khan View Post
    Start -> Run -> type devmgmt.msc press ok -> View -> Show hidden devices -> Non-plug and play drivers -> find "sptd" -> right click and Uninstall.
    My friend suggested he reformat his PC. But, here's the thing. His DVD drive isn't working either. I don't know if its the drive itself, but basically the uh... disc platform thingy that pops out won't open up. It's been like this since before this whole issue occurred.

I'm trying to find him help. We're both internet dorks and active online gamers (World of Warcraft), so you can imagine how bored he's going to get soon haha.

Re: stpd.sys error issue (possibly more?)

To work with the issue of your i will advise you to disconnect all the hardware from your system like Graphic Card, Speaker etc and run with only mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Now reset the BIOS to its default setting and restart the computer to check whether you are getting any issue or not. Do let me know about the same.