Thread: Links will not open in IE 8 after switching from Maxthon 2.5 as my default browser

Links will not open in IE 8 after switching from Maxthon 2.5 as my default browser

I am running windows 7 home premium and making use of Internet explorer for browsing purpose. This is also set as my default browser. Yesterday might I think to try Maxthon as well as set it as my default browser. But for some reason I do not like it and switch back to Internet explorer 8. But now my problem is that when I try to open any Hyperlink it will not work when I click them on any page. I do not understand what the reason is for this. If you have any suggestion regarding to this issue please let me know.

Re: Links will not open in IE 8 after switching from Maxthon 2.5 as my default browser

Hopefully this is known issue and I also have this problem once and very easily resolved it. It happens for the reason that at what time you install Maxthon 2.5 it "writes" into the similar spot within the computer's registry at the same time as Internet Explorer does, as an alternative of using its own. Because of this reason you are having this trouble. Hope this will help you to resolve the problem. If you have any other concern let me know.

Re: Links will not open in IE 8 after switching from Maxthon 2.5 as my default browser

Thank you for your suggestion. After hearing that it is a known issue and can be very easily resolved, I am really happy. But as you have mentioned that this happen because when Maxthon is installed it overwrites into the computer registry. But I do not have too much knowledge of computers and you have not mentioned any file name or nothing by means I can easily get rid of it. If possible I will request you to give the proper instructions how I can resolve this problem. Your suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

You can follow the below instruction to resolve your issue. Earlier than you re-set Internet Explorer as your default browser, you will require to delete two registry keys. Below is what you need to perform

1. Click on Start menu as well as type regedit in the start search box
    2. Yu will get list of programs, now under programs click regedit; this will now opens the Registry Editor
    3. Click the arrow next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Classes.
    4. Now look for the following registry keys:
    If you are using 32 bit system then look for:
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\IE.HTTP
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\IE.HTTPS
    And if you are using 64 bit system then look for:
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\IE.HTTP
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\IE.HTTPS
    5. After that now right click on the correct registry key and choose Delete
    Now you be able to go back to Internet Explorer 8 and set it as your default browser, furthermore it will work as usual.