Thread: Will Mac OS X Lion continue to give support for 32 bit?

Will Mac OS X Lion continue to give support for 32 bit?

I think that the discussion for which I have presented my self here is pretty much clear from the title of the thread and hence I would just like to know what your views on the same are? I just want to know if Apple Mac OS X will entirely drop the support that it has for 32 bit. Well it seems to me that they are going to do the same soon. After looking at some of the statistics I am of the opinion that there are going to make this switch soon and that too permanently. Also from the sales of the laptop i.e. Apple Notebook it has been observed that the processor that they include were either from Core2Duo or Core i series. Also in addition to this all the processors were 64 bit capable. Please let me know what you all think about this change.

Re: Will Mac OS X Lion continue to give support for 32 bit?

I am of the opinion that they will definitely or say they are for sure not at all going to make this switch at all. If they do the same then there are many things that they will have to look after. The things include of Compatibility. The very first MacBook that came to existence were with Core2Duo processors and were of 32 BITS. It can be seen that it will really cause them trouble if they just drop the 32 bit support. One fact that I would like to make clear is that this switching can be expected but at this particular moment they are not at all going to do the same. In addition to this I would also like to say that iMacs and Macbook Pro that were released at first were also based on 32-bit. On the conclusion part it seems to me as a bad choice.

I totally agree to the things that have been said above and if you ask for some of the more clarification then they are not only going to trouble you with the compatibility but in addition to this they are also going to trouble you with the performance as well. When it comes to 64 bit then I have seen that the 64 bit utilizes more RAM as compared to the 32 bit. It will be better if you are planning to go for the upgrade then it will be better if you can simply go with RAM upgradation and there will be nothing extra required after that. You will see smooth functioning there.

I do not think that there will be at all any issue if Apple comes up with support only the 64 bit idea. I have seen that Mac OS X can run the applications that are based on 32 bit or 64 bit at the very same moment. They will continue to do so even if they are having the 32 bit kernel. The same thing will happen if you are having the 64 bit kernel and once you have the same then the only thing that you will have to look for is more amount of RAM. It will be better if you can just have 4 or more than 4 GB of RAM. If that is the case then you can go with 64 bit processes. But looking at the whole scenario I really do not think that they will at all drop the support for 32 bit entirely. Even if they are coming with the LION then also they will have support for 32 bit.

If you ask for the surprise factor then I will be not at all surprised if Apple come with the 64 bit support but at the same time drops the support for 32 bit. But let me tell you that if they will really come up with this then they will be required to see for the support for 64 bit KERNEL. It will be really a headache to make use of the 64 bit kernel as the default MAC OS. I am of the opinion that they will just come up with the 50-50 chance there that they will have the 64 bit KERNEL. Lao they will for sure see if they can have the 32 bit support.

I really do not think that they can just withdraw the support from there at just one stroke. Now the fact is that the compatibility reasons are there and that are really prominent. I have the MacBook here and I have seen that it has 64 bit CPU but the EFI that I have here is of 32 bit. So at this moment it is really impossible that you can have the 64 Bit Kernel in there. IN addition to this there are third party software that you will be required to use so that the hardware can have the 64 bit drivers. I am sure that they will not at all withdraw the support at the very moment.