Thread: Configure symlink in Linux Mint to share partition

Configure symlink in Linux Mint to share partition

In my computer I have configured a dual boot setup by way of Ubuntu 10.04 as well as Mint 10 sharing files from a split /home partition by the use of symlinks. The computer contains music, photos, and a few other misc settings intended for programs I utilize working wonderfully however my Desktop symlink doesn't appear to function correctly. I have typed following command
    Code:
    ln -s /media/files/username/Desktop ~/Desktop
    in order to generate the symlink. However it didn’t worked well right though. So what can I do now?

Re: Configure symlink in Linux Mint to share partition

First of all I need to tell you that it might work well if you have gone though the easy method rather than the complex settings. If you would like to observe the mounted directory on your desktop, simply set off to Menu>Preferences>Desktop Settings and ensure "Mounted Volumes" beneath Desktop Icons. The symlink is not actually wanted for this case. This is how I hold my information Partition consequently it is forever accessible on top of the desktop if I wish for to compose whichever accompaniments otherwise modifications.

If the symlink is not working properly then open the command line interface. That would be the foremost position to make sure for command syntax. Check the following commands there
    Code:
    man symlink
    man ln
    ln -s /path/to/file alias
    Previous to captivating off you must reflect on "interactive" approach with -i ahead of taking away improbable folders. Its huge intended for shortcuts particularly lengthy file names. If for instance you cover an mp3 file that has the overstated label and go for this code:
    Code:
    ln -s /home/$USER/My\ Favorite\ MP3\ Collection/Sarah\ Brightman\ Sings\ Time\ To\ Say\ Goodbye\ New\ Year's\ Eve.mp3 Sarah1
    Now you would be capable to snoop to it by way of
    Code:
    mplayer Sarah1
    To eliminate wrecked fake symlinks attempt using a link welcoming file manager like gentoo.

First of all you need to check the Symlink using the following code. This is the best way to verify your link
    Code:
    ln -s <destination> <linkname>
    If the preferred link filename is the similar like the target’s filename, and the existing functioning directory is the preferred position in favor of the link, then you simply require:
    Code:
    ln -s <destination>

Here is my setup and it worked well for me without any problems
    • Windows 7: is NTFS by 35GB of room and mounted inside Ubuntu like /windows
    • Linux Ubuntu: is EXT4 among 15GB of storage and mounted like /
    • Home: is EXT4 by means of 20GB of storage area and mounted like /home
    • Documents: is NTFS by way of whatever space is obtainable and mounted within Ubuntu like /dos amid short cuts and symlinks approaching from my Home directory (Ubuntu) and Documents directory (Windows). As a result each and every one of my Videos, Music and Downloads are set of connections the similar in both operating systems