Thread: Command to start in low resolution mode

Command to start in low resolution mode

My PC starts regularly from the command line in the Nvidia proprietary driver. So I have to reboot and start grub via the low-resolution mode. When I need to use software that requires the nvidia driver (Google Earth, Stellarium GeoGebra 3D beta) I reinstalled and generally it works for some time, (one day a week, 2 starts, a dozen, it seems it randomly), until the PC reboots online. What I would like it to continue booting into the low resolution on the command line without having to reboot. Is this possible if so how?

Re: Command to start in low resolution mode

Where does the driver version used (Additional Drivers, ASF, nVidia site)? With a clean installation, this problem should not occur. But in this case, simply log in at the prompt command line, delete the xorg.conf and start it again. After this manipulation, the login screen should appear (in full resolution). But this is not a solution in itself, because the problem is certainly the method of driver installation.

The driver is installed via "Additional Drivers" and then, hoping that would solve my problems, I have activated the PPP with the hope of having a driver to date. But it is perhaps not a good idea especially since I have not really used the PPP as such. Currently installed (seen by typing in Nvidia Quick Search in Synaptic):
    Code:
    nvidia-common xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv nvidia-173-modaliases nvidia-96-modaliases nvidia-current-modaliases jockey-common jockey-gtk libvdpau1
    Additional Drivers launching it tells me no drivers are enabled (among those proposed are 173 and current) for my graphics card. It is true that this facility seems inconsistent. Thank you, Aold for your help. I did not have this problem in 4.10 32 or 64 bits. The problem occurred since my move to 64-bit 10/10. I confess I do not really want to reinstall everything, it's too long. Also, if I except the nvidia, the 10.10 runs smoothly.

You can try to install it without changing anything, and "see" what it will give, or else in Synaptic:
    • Lower left origin. Select the row for the PPP, and for each installed package back to the version of the official repositories (Package> Force Version)
    • Delete the app from the list of sources
    • Reload deposits
    • Remove any residue, bottom left: State> Residues ...
    • Install updates
    • Then when everything is clean, thanks to the manager of proprietary drivers, install the recommended version.