Thread: How to install XP after Ubuntu

How to install XP after Ubuntu

Hello everyone I bought a computer with pre-installed Ubuntu 10.10. I'd like to install XP (I have an original CD with license by my school) with a dual boot. I found many explanations on the forums to install Ubuntu after XP but little for the reverse. I currently have the following configuration (a single hard drive). So if you guys have any suggestion regarding this issue. I will be thankful for this. And please try to do this as soon as it is possible for you guys.

Re: How to install XP after Ubuntu

I did it in this sense first Ubuntu (it's 8.04) and after I put my XP pro dual boot. But it is recommended to do the opposite if you do not pay attention to what the Ubuntu install XP overwrites. One has to only choose to install XP on the partition that are serve this and asked where it should be installed. If I remember correctly, I resized my HDD and created 2 partitions to NTFS. On one I installed XP Pro, the other for me to transfer zone between XP and Ubuntu. Afterwards, he must deal with the Grub boot. Since I do my updates to each OS without this, I'm in my XP 10.10 and I am regularly updated by Microsoft.

Here actually ?I want to tell you something regarding this I hope this will help you.
    1. Computer with Ubuntu 10.10 pre-installed (this is unfortunately not very common)
    2. The partitioning looks like a default installation - one partition for the system and an extended partition containing one logical partition swap, usually the size of the swap is about the size of the RAM. Have you almost 1 GB of RAM?
    3. Install in Windows if you do not have windows on this PC?

In order to fix this you have to do this and I am sure it will fix your issue.You'll have to do the following:
    • You get a DesktopCD Ubuntu
    • Save on external support what you do not want to lose (you never know)
    • Boot the PC from the CD
    • Go to System / Administration / gparted
    • Remove / dev/sda5
    • Remove / dev/sda2
    • Reduce / dev/sda1 to make room for Windows
    • Install Windows on the freed space
    • Reduce Windows (either from Windows or LiveCD mode) for a space the size of your RAM
    • With gparted recreate a swap partition
    • In a terminal display partition uuid
    • Edit / etc / fstab partition sda1 to update the uuid (which have changed due to different partitioning)
    • Restore grub-pc

ok thank you I will try. I bought this computer and I tried to follow the instructions in the forum to partition and install XP in dual boot so I have "erased" Ubuntu and installed XP and then re-installed Ubuntu from a live CD. But after many tests I was never able to run XP and Ubuntu. So I re-installed Ubuntu "on the entire disk" to remove all previous tests. As the computer is new, I have no data that I lose so I did not worry too much for my tests. I give you the news thank you.