Thread: Black screen while booting ubuntu on dual boot with windows 7

Black screen while booting ubuntu on dual boot with windows 7

I wanted to install Ubuntu 9.10 in 64bit on my laptop dual boot with win 7. I reboot, after the completion of installation, everything will be fine. Windows is on a partition, and ubuntu on another, although they are on the same disk, it is already partitioned. Upon restart, it asks me what I want to start, I said ubuntu, black screen and it shows:
    [Minimal BASH-like line editing IS Supported. For The first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB list The possible completions of a device / filename. ]
    grub>
    Ubuntu in the bios is present, but once selected, it displays this message. I have no idea what I do, I saw that some people had already had this problem but I don’t understand anything on the solutions that have been proposed, if you could enlighten me.I give you my config in case it comes from there: pentium dual core 2.1 Ghz, 4GB ram, Nvidia GT220 M Ubuntu in the bios is present, but once selected, it displays the message. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Black screen while booting ubuntu on dual boot with windows 7

In short, you did a typical installation (on Linux partition) while the first was a Wubi installation (installation called "Windows")? Is that correct? Telll me this as soon as it is possible for you. And regarding this issue you will get the article on to the official website of ubuntu. And do the same command from Ubuntu on your PC and you can see if you have Linux partitions.and in this if you do not have Linux partition, so it may be because of you have finally made a Wubi install on NTFS partitions which is already exist. So whatever I know regarding this I have just mention t over here I hope this will help you.

I do not know that whether this is normal or not so if you have any idea then suggest me I am just telling you what I got at the time of installing this. Actually when I was installing my system so at that time the Linux grub tells me 4 options:
    • Linux kernels 31-17 (normal and recovery)
    • Linux kernels and 31-14 (normal and recovery)

This is what I got so can you tell me that this is normal?

Yes, it's normal, because you have multiple kernels installed. You've got to do an update. Grub is an application which displays them all for that if you have a problem with one (which should not happen), you can start with the old that worked. And for the recovery mode is ubuntu without GUI (for the repair if you made a mistake). So normally, you do not need all these menus but that's normal (and advised to keep them). Afterwards, you can delete them but if you're a beginner, this is not necessary and you risk damaging your system.

All this is perfectly normal and I strongly advise you not to try to reduce the number of lines available so that you are a beginner. It is true that it is a bit bulky as boot menu but for now, you have only two cores available: kernel 2.6.31-17 and kernel 2.6.31-14. In some time, an update to install the 2.6.31-18 kernel and you will find yourself with 6 lines instead of 4. This is normal and let’s permits you. There are other more important things to discover and put into practice on Ubuntu than dealing with it. So whatever I know regarding this I have just explain that over here I hope this will help you in to get rid from this kind of issue.