Thread: How can I dual boot windows and Ubuntu along with EFI and SSD

How can I dual boot windows and Ubuntu along with EFI and SSD

Hello everyone, with my Asus motherboard and BIOS EFI P8P67 + Windows7 on the SSD, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 (64bit) on the HDD. I installed Easy BCD in Windows and tried to configure the boot as I did without problem on my previous computer. It's been three days but after a few re-installations I am still not able to boot Ubuntu. At best I end up with the prompt "grub>" Does anyone have a solution? Note that I am far from being at ease in Ubuntu. So regarding this if you have any suggestion then please help me as soon as it is possible for you guys.

Re: How can I dual boot windows and Ubuntu along with EFI and SSD

Personally, I think you should have install Ubuntu on the SSD, the problem must surely be in the boot order of RIL. I think if you pass the priority to HDD, you no longer have access to Windows. But what I say does not make sense from the fact that you still find yourself with guest GRUB! I'm not very knowledgeable with Linux. This subject interests me especially because I plan to buy a new config with almost the same motherboard as you, the same processor and an SSD.

Same issue over here also and regarding this solution I must say that Yes! If I can find no other solution I will try to install Ubuntu on the SSD by creating a second partition. But there are only 90 GB and I would rather reserve them for Windows 7. I'll keep looking but I despair to find without using a Ubuntu. I'm surprised not more response time. I think that same setup on this kind of configuration will certainly be tested by others fairly quickly. So this is what I think regarding this.

Yes of course! In this I have reserved a partition of 100 GB for the system and 4 GB for swap. I've also burned CD to install Ubuntu on the HDD. When I run it split the 100 GB partition to create a partition "/ home" which is handy when changing version of Ubuntu to retrieve these documents and config. In this connection an S-ATA disk can accommodate more than 4 primary partitions? Another point to watch is right now I have my 2 Ubuntu partitions (system + swap) and 2 partitions for my documents and for safeguards. Otherwise I'll have to try to create an extended partition for Ubuntu shared Sytem for the Home Swap and I can create 3 other primary partitions. It was configured like that on my old PC. It is not all that simple. So regarding this if you have any suggestion then please recommend me.

After reading all these I must say regarding this that, you are not able to do that I mean 4 primary partitions (i.e. 4 primary partitions or 3 primary + 1 extended which can fit a lot) on an MBR disk. This is the classic partitioning. If your disk is partitioned using the GPT, you can do 128 partitions! Normally, your Windows disk is partitioned into GPT, because Windows can not boot from an MBR disk with UEFI. I'll get my PC based P8P67 soon, and also I wanted a guide on installing Ubuntu in Windows UEFI + + GPT. For cons, I think it is not yet possible to boot the Ubuntu live CD from the UEFI because I have tested under Virtual Box by cons it works with Fedora 14.

Good! I just checked my HDD is partitioned into GPT. I did not need to make an extended partition. 128 partitions Cool! And how would they have been identified so far? I do not understand what you mean TatrefThekiller "For cons, I think it is not yet possible to boot the Ubuntu live CD for UEFI? Till now I do not have problem! I insert the CD and I can try Ubuntu 10.10 live without any worries. By cons to install and can boot from it is another story! Thank you in advance for your guide because right now I dry the fact to install Windows 7 on a SSD and Ubuntu on the HDD partner can make a difference? I wanted to add the screenshots of my disk partitions and their properties but I cannot How is it done? Hard drive when the computer has not "fallen in when we were little!

When I said that Ubuntu 10.10 was not able to boot on EFI was from a test conducted under VirtualBox (in virtual so). There I tried to boot Ubuntu from a USB stick (created avecUNetbootin) without success. By cons I managed to install Win 7 from a USB stick created with the Microsoft tool to put an ISO on key. I'll try again tonight with a USB stick on Fedora and Ubuntu on CD this time. For your problem, you still can not boot into Ubuntu? I do not know how the priorities are managed boot with 2 hard drives, but I think the easiest way is to install Win 7 + Ubuntu on the SSD. You will benefit good performance for the system and more. If you have no special use of Ubuntu, a partition of some gig as may suffice. By cons are advised not to SWAP on the SSD.