Thread: Windows 7 will not Boot and Reassigns drive letters as well as removes drive information

Windows 7 will not Boot and Reassigns drive letters as well as removes drive information

Hi, two months ago my installation of Windows 7 Ultimate has begun a source of frustration. I had already installed windows and have a good one year. But one day I entered into startup repair. I found that the Operating System to be on the D: drive previously it was on C. Startup Repair does not anything to resolve the problem. A disk part in command prompt illustrates that the System Reserved division is now C: furthermore Windows is on D:. All the data for example Boot, Page file, System, and so on are gone. It will not boot.Especially since this was my hard drive replaced under warranty. Was probably not the root of the problem, but I did and reinstall Windows 7. Worked well for a month and a half and now this latest start again exactly the same trouble. The score was given privileged system C: and Windows switches to D: and not start. Any ideas anyone? There was nothing unusual in that during the last close, unless you installed a new update of Acrobat. Thanks for any help! I am using Dell Inspiron 6000.

Re: Windows 7 will not Boot and Reassigns drive letters as well as removes drive information

What is the error message at what time you attempt to start Windows? Have you attempted booting in safe mode? The query might not be associated to the relocation of drive letters. The Windows recovery mode for the setting is an independent operating system recovery tool on the way to repair the operating system files. At what time using diskpart WinRE mode, the system partition C is considered reserved and the Windows partition will be the next drive letter after C. Once you give the error message at what time you start Windows that will assist determine the cause of the trouble.

Re: Windows 7 will not Boot and Reassigns drive letters as well as removes drive information

I will recommend you to try the following mentioned steps.
    Step 1: Try booting the PC in Safe mode
    For this reboot your system and press F8 while restarting the PC. After that under the advanced Boot option menu choose safe mode as well as press enter to start the system in safe mode.

Step 2: Perform System restore from Windows Recovery Environment mode
    If you are not able to boot in the safe mode then the next possible option for you to perform a system restore before the this trouble started.

Hello, thank you very much for your response. Unluckily, I required my laptop fairly quickly, so that reloads for this to work. However I have tried both your suggestions before recharging and had no effect. If it happens once more I'll certainly respond. One query I have is that if I reboot by means of the external hard drive (s) connected, the PC is just a black screen with flashes of command line. No keys have any effect. I am off, unplug the unit and start the work. Could it be this problem associated to the topic of Windows starts? Thanks!

As you have mentioned that you are getting black screen while your external drive is plugged in so it is a startup problem. I will recommend you to verify the boot device precedence in the System BIOS.You can follow the below steps to alter the Boot priority order:
    a. Restart your PC furthermore watch for a message all through the POST regarding a particular key, frequently Del which you will require to press on the way to enter SETUP
    b. Press this key the moment you observe the message.
    c. One time you are in the BIOS, make certain that the Internal hard drive is the primary boot device below the Boot device precedence.
    d. Next priority will be for CD/DVD drive.
    e. And third priority to your USB.
    f. Press F10 to save the changes and then exit.