Thread: Windows 7 repair shows wrong drive letter.

Windows 7 repair shows wrong drive letter.

I have installed Windows 7 week ago. I am having two hard disks one is master and second one is slave. Well yesterday night I got BSOD and immediately rebooted the system then again I got BSOD. I tried to fix the problem by doing repair but it did not work at all. I have found in Startup Repair Log that E:\Windows should be as listed C:\Windows in the Windows directory. I have done some research on this matter and I have concluded that Content of the C: drive and E: drive replaced with each other. Well this problem is associated with the wrong drive letter then suggest me any idea to change the latter of the drive. I really annoyed with this particular and I want to fix the matter by any mean. Any help regarding this particular situation will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows 7 repair shows wrong drive letter.

Well I want to know whether you have tried with editing registry keys of your system if your answer is no then use the following.
    1. You have to launch registry editor by using regedit.exe.
    2. You have to click on HKey_Local_Machine and now go to File menu and go for Load Hive.
    3. Now navigate to E:\Windows\System32\Config\System. Now you have to name it for e.g. ShepardReg. Now you have to open HKLM/ShepardReg/MountedDevices.
    4. Now you have to edit all the necessary keys. Now click on ShepardReg.
    5. Now again go for File menu and choose Unload Hive.

I think the information which you have provided in your post is quite less to figure out the root cause of the problem in this particular situation. Well I want to know some more information regarding the hard drive configuration which you are using currently. I want to know about SATA/IDE, Boot sequence and connection order in this particular situation. Well as far as I know drive letter will not create any issue in this situation.

The thing which you have mentioned in your post is usually happens when you are having more than one hard drive in your system. Have you tried to install the OS using ruing USB drive and disconnecting DVD/CD drive of your computer? I also suggest you that try to install operating system by disconnecting with internet. Also see that there is compatibility issue between hardware and software of the system. Try and see above mention steps helps you to solve the matter in this particular situation.

Well have you try to boot your system in Safe mode. You have to reboot your computer and press F8 key from the keyboard. Now it will direct to you at Advanced Boot Option where you have to choose Safe Mode with arrow key and press enter to proceed. Now you have entered in to safe mode and see whether problem persists or not. I am hoping that it will help you to solve the matter in this particular situation.