Thread: Windows 7 : Error Code 0x81000203

Windows 7 : Error Code 0x81000203

When I am trying to create a system restore point it fails to start in windows 7. At what time I click system protection tab inside system property I am getting an error message which states that 'there was a unpredicted error in the property page: system restore encountered an error. Please attempt to run system restore once more. (0x81000203). Please close the property page and try once more”. As per the message I have tried starting properties once more few times. Also rebooted windows a few occasions and started PC properties. The moment I click system protection tab, things go incorrect plus I get the above error message. If you have any suggestion regarding to this issue please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Re: Windows 7 : Error Code 0x81000203

I would recommend you to try disable any security application ( such as Anti Virus, firewall) you are using on your PC as well as after that run system restore and confirm if the problem resolves. I will also recommend trying boot in safe mode moreover after that just open the choice of system restore and verify whether the error pops up in the highlighted division. This will assist check if several non-Microsoft services is interfering by the system restore. Remember that in the Safe mode you will have access to just basic files as well as drivers. Now confirm in safe mode if you are able on the way to open system restore or else do you still obtain any error message. At what time you perform entire System restore from safe mode you will not be capable to undo the alteration. As well performing system restore alter the PC to earlier state, programs as well as updates that you installed are detached.

I would recommend you to run a SFC scan as well as verify if it lists any error messages. You can follow the below link to perform a SFC scan:
    1. Go to start menu and click All Programs-> Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, and after that click run as administrator.
    2. You will be asking to enter the admin password, provide the password or else click OK.
    3. Now type the commond “sfc /scannow” in the command prompt and press Enter.
    4. The system will scan all your files and if any of your files needs to be repair it will restore all of them and you may also ask to enter your windows 7 DVD to carry on this procedure.
    5. If everything is completed then you will receive an message saying that windows resource did not locate any violations.
    6. Now reboot the system to save the changes and see whether the issue is resolved or not.
    Hope this helps.

I will advice you to make sure if Microsoft Software Shadow Copy supplier service is whether disabled or enabled. The Microsoft Software Shadow service is supposed to be enabled for the system restore to function. To verify follow the below instruction. Go to start menu and in the start search box type Services.msc and after that press Enter. Now click on “Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider” and see whether the status is started. Let me know about the result.

I am also having the similar trouble. I am making use of Windows 7 Home Premium. At what time I click on System protection I am getting an error message which says that "There was an unpredicted error in the property page: System Restore encountered an error. Please attempt to run System Restore once more. (0x81000203) Please close the property page and try once more." So far I have tried the following solution but problem still persist.
    *Made certain that Microsoft Software Shadow Copy is in progress and on Automatic. Problem remains.
    *Try running SFC/scannow. Problem remains.
    *I have also enabled Volume Shadow Copy as well as Windows backup moreover set them to automatic. Problem remains.
    I need help.

awesome answer, it solved my problem. many thx

i Tried but In my 'services.msc' ,i can't find Software Shadow Copy supplier service. Rather than it is blank.. tell me what should i do.

Down Re: Windows 7 : Error Code 0x81000203

When I am trying to create a system restore point it fails to start in windows 7. At what time there is NO resolution to this dispite what you see or what is posted on the Internet .. . there is not a way to report this through Microsoft with jumping thru hoops - something I am not willing to do - sorry seems to be the hardest word .. oh so true!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpah View Post
    I will advice you to make sure if Microsoft Software Shadow Copy supplier service is whether disabled or enabled. The Microsoft Software Shadow service is supposed to be enabled for the system restore to function. To verify follow the below instruction. Go to start menu and in the start search box type Services.msc and after that press Enter. Now click on “Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider” and see whether the status is started. Let me know about the result.
    i must have to admit to you ekpah your a boss i tried everything else ppl said and nothing worked but your quick simple suggestion worked wonders...Im gathering its cause i have tune up utilities 2012 installed in my pc and somehow/maybe it switched it off for the turbo mode function.....so for anybody with that restore point problem i suggest you take this guys advice seriously and thanks again ekpah P.S. i did not have to touch tune up utilities for nothing just did what ekpah suggested and BOOM it worked lol
    Last edited by STEALTH79; 12-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Windows 7 : Error Code 0x81000203
    I turned off Turbo mode in TuneUp Utilities 2012 and system restore worked again.
    TuneUp Utilities 2009 / 2010 / 2011/ 2012 Turbo Mode block system protection / restore.

Brilliant ! Turning off turboboost and activating Microsoft Volume Shadow Software Copy did the trick! Now I can create a system restore point and restore files. Took me 3 hours of trial and error to find this solution.

Many thanks!