Thread: How do I edit the hosts file in windows 7?

How do I edit the hosts file in windows 7?

Hey I have windows 7 installed operating system in my system I have been attempting to edit the Hosts file in Windows 7 x64 Ultimate however I am not able to locate it. I recognize where it is for x86 as well as be able to with no trouble edit that one, however for the life of me is not able to locate it for x64. So if anyone knows how to edit and use the hosts file in windows 7 then please tell me about that over here.

Re: How do I edit the hosts file in windows 7?

moment ago understood as well as jumped the gun in setting up the HOSTS file from mvps.org, you have to go to the properties of the HOSTS file on: \windows\system32\drivers\etc\ after that you have to press the Security tab and the you are almost certainly in the User account as well as not admin. If admin, I guess you be able to follow this similar method. Edit that account after that press on the account to edit as well as permit as a minimum to open it up as well as paste in what you would like. After that you have to Run services.msc and then restart the DNS service.

The host file is the one wherever one enters hostname in addition to IP Address pair yourself as against being served through a Name server. For Windows 7 you have to go to Start after that you have to search for “Notepad“, and then right-press plus choose “Run as Administrator“. This is supposed to launch notepad with elevated rights. At the moment, you have to go to the host file from the File menu, edit as well as then you have to save.

From my opinion you have to Browse to start after that you have to go to All Programs following this Accessories and then Right press "Notepad" as well as choose Run as administrator. Then you have to press "Continue" on the UAC prompt. Then you have to press File and after that open. Then you have to browse to “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc”. Then you have to Alter the file filter box from "Text Documents” to "All Files ". You have to choose "hosts" as well as press "Open”. After that you have to make the required changes also close Notepad. Save when prompted.