Thread: Windows 7's Backup and Restore program slow while backup

Windows 7's Backup and Restore program slow while backup

When I try to back up my internal C plus D drives (160 GB Western Digital Raptor as well as 1 TB Hitachi, in that order, utilizing Windows 7's Backup plus Restore program) backing up to an external Lacie drive it takes regarding 24-36 hours to backup the data. Although, going to Device Manager after that Disk Management, it confirms the external drive as being completely healthy in addition to working in general.

re: Windows 7's Backup and Restore program slow while backup

Yes, windows 7 backup is dreadful, time-consuming and clunky. The answer appears to elude Microsoft, so here is what I have made with computer utilizing Windows 7.I downloaded a disk imaging program The one I have utilized, I utilize it to backup about 250GB of data from two interior drives to an outside 1TB H/F automatically each few days. The data gets compressed through at least 50- 75%, consequently I be able to fit as a minimum 4 or 5 backups on the h/f before overwriting old images. There are tons of advantages in utilizing an "image" in its place of the classical backup - speed, usability if a collide forces you to install a new h/f.

The superiority of Windows 7 backup is unforgivable. The finest way to solve it is to just utilize the backup/restore from Windows 2008 Server R2 which is lightning speedy, merely creates one file in its place of three files, as well as is simpler plus straighter forward to utilize. I have utilized many backup systems in PCs and Windows 7 backup is SLOW as well as not well designed! Ridiculous to not use the Server 2008 version which mostly shares the same code base as Win7 anyway! The similar restore for data, system state plus bare metal restore of the system C: disk is extremely fast on 2008 as well as ungodly slow on Windows 7.

Yes, Windows 7 Backup is very time-consuming .other than the Windows 7 "System Image" backup plus restore is fast and outstanding, at the same as with Server 2008, making incremental updates of an image. Though I was surprised as well as let down that individual file plus directory restore could not be complete from the Windows 7 image as it be able to with Server 2008.The System Image backup with Windows 7 is speedy. If they allow file as well as directory restore from the image as they perform in Server 2008, the entire would be fine.

I select this version of Windows 7 mainly for the backup functionality as well as now observe that it is certainly very slow. I started my backup regarding 22 hours ago plus it is not yet half finished. I surely expect that incremental updates are quick, also this functionality certainly is ineffective plus I could have saved cash buying the cheaper version of windows 7.What would be useful is representing if, plus what is being completed regarding the issue that even the first backup get so long.