Thread: Windows 7: Administrator unable to move or delete the file of unknown owner

Windows 7: Administrator unable to move or delete the file of unknown owner

I am using Windows 7 on my computer. I have recently restored some files from the backup which I was having from old pc of mine. Now I am unable to either move or delete the file. It simply prompts that you should have admin rights to do the same. However I am having admin rights on my computer. I have checked the proprieties of that particular file I have seen that it belongs to unknown owner. I don’t know why windows is not allowing admin to delete the file of the unknown owner. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7: Administrator unable to move or delete the file of unknown owner

Well I am suggesting you that you should take owner ship on your windows 7.You have to right click on the desire folder and choose Properties from the context menu. Now go to Security tab. Now go for Advance. Now you have to choose Owner tab in Advance Security Settings from the User window. Now you should click on the Edit Button and choose user from the list of the user. Now choose User/Group and click on Apply button and then click on Ok. If it is prompted you have to click ok. Now you have to exit properties by clicking on Ok button. This will help you to take ownership of file or folder. you should try it and let me know whether it was helpful or not.

For granting permission you can use the following steps. You have to right click on the folder and choose properties from the context menu. Choose Security tab. If you found the user id of yours in to the list of user id simply select it and if it is not present simply add it. You have to click on Full Control in order to get full control on the folder. Now press Ok to exit. I think using this setting you will be able to move, edit or delete the file or folder. Hence apply the above and see helps you or not.

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned in to the previous post. Well I am using windows 7 on my computer. I was having desktop shortcut on the screen and I was unable to delete the same. I have tried to run takedown command on the command prompt but it was fruitless. It simply prompts that Access Denied .Now I am really helpless in this situation. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.