Thread: Windows XP specifying the wrong size of hard drive

Windows XP specifying the wrong size of hard drive

I have the following problem. My computer is used with a 300GB hard drive. There are 2 two partitions exist C: 18 GB D: 280 GB when installing WIN XP it was shown at the beginning of the size and I was rather invited some of the software to the C: partition which is Formatted 18 GB and then started the installation. Strangely enough, the size of the formation changes during that installation? From 18 GB to 160 GB. After the installation everything works. Only I have Win XP, according to now only a C: partition and hard disk has only 160 GB. Someone told me that the right size was specified in the BIOS, the man would only tell it happened only for the Win XP. I ask for your help. Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Re: Windows XP specifying the wrong size of hard drive

Actually, the BIOS have little to do with the display of the space. I suppose rather that you during the formatting deletes all partitions and have applied to 160GB, even if unconsciously. So to fix this you just Go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management Here you should see what partitions are still there and how big each one is individual. So you just check this from here that what it is showing from here.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, they help me a lot further. I install the WIN XP two partitions on the hard disk had a D: with 280 GB C: about 18 GB I have XP Prof. SP3 then installed on C: the installation of Win XP without any effort on my part to display the partition size from 160 GB to 18 GB automatically converted skipped while. My problem is how I get to the original size of 300 GB SATA drive back from. What do I do what I have to go way. At work, I will only have one partition C: is displayed with a size of 160 GB For your problem-solving in advance thank you.

Whatever the solution is given over here it is right but in this you have to do little bit extra in this you have to Go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management. There you can find then for sure the "rest" your 300GB as unpartitioned space. Unfortunately you cannot simply that of free space on C: to add. So you have to create a new partition. Right-click on the free space and then the Create New Partition "(or similar) drive letter assigned to completed.

This is not probably a 300GB hard drive, but a 320GB hard drive. Because due to the Windows standard (and more correct) binary size information based on hard disks are there only about 93% of the decimal-based listed capacity is available (at 300GB approx 279GB). Therefore, 18GB 280GB 300GB Partitions not on a hard drive. A 320GB hard drive with about 298GB of usable capacity stated on a binary basis, however, would fit quite well to it. And in this some used for this purpose (and theoretically correct) notation GiB reject it, because it is so unusual that the use of generally more confusion than benefit to.

There are less than 2TB in Windows XP only one relevant hard disk size limit: The 48 bit LBA limit (it is recommended in to the original article). This lies with 137GB (or 128GB specified based binary). In addition, it primarily affects Windows XP installation CD, on which no service pack is integrated. Such installation CDs but are now rare, usually is already one of the service packs (SP3 desirably) integrated. This is on the CD: "Has Service Pack X". If there is such a claim on your CD?