Thread: Cscript is not working on Windows 7

Cscript is not working on Windows 7

Let me tell you that I am not aware of rules of this forums. So please co-operate with me, and just don't ignore my problem. Cscript has stopped working on my machine having Windows 7 x64. I am not sure what screwed it up and since when it stopped working, below is the behavior. When I just execute "cscript" in the cmd, it completes and does not even show the "Usage:" message. The error level is so 0, and I am pretty sure that the cscript is in the right place and it is being called, would otherwise CMD would have shown error message as "not recognized as an internal or external command". I am waiting for your responses. Hope that I have posted for you people to understand. Please provide some resolutions as soon as possible.

Re: Cscript is not working on Windows 7

I've had a similar problem once and it was caused by having an cscript called exec in the directory, I was running a cscript command. Have you checked that this is not the case? This problem can take place if the Sysprep tool cannot ensure the location of cscript.exe involuntarily. The cscript.exe may be not obtainable in Environment Variables. Hope that your problem will get solved.

At the command prompt when you typing cscript, then you guess that you execute the Windows cscript interpreter. If you desire to be convinced that you execute it then you must completely succeed it:
    % Systemroot% \ system32 \ cscript.exe

Why? Since you might have a batch or exe file anywhere whose name is cscript and that gets executed in predilection to the actual thing according to the rules of execution in Windows. If this is the reason of your dilemma then you should modify your practice and stop giving the identical names as batch files existing system executables.

Well, let me tell you that I have already checked that. And I saw that I am not having any other batch files with the name nor exes CScript for the command to be mislead. However, as you adviced I fully qualified the name by means of% systemroot% \ system32 \ cscript.exe and c: \ Windows \ System32 \ cscript.exe it is precisely an identical behavior.
    C: \> c: \ Windows \ system32 \ cscript.exe
    C: \>% systemroot \ system32 \ cscript.exe%

To troubleshoot more, I copied the CScript.exe from a different machine to my machine and attempted the similar and it still displayed the same behavior. It is completely strange and have no hint what is going wrong ..

I am familiar with an identical quandary twice on my machine, but not with cscript.exe with SystemScripter.exe (a VB scripting IDE). Both times nothing happened at every time I launched the exe file. I didn’t have any error message, nothing, not even when doing it from the Command Prompt. System Restore did not repair the problem also. In each case I was enforced to drop back to a preceding image of my Windows installation. Sorry for not being able to give you an instructions to repair your problem. :