Thread: Which Linux should be used to host a database on a notebook?

Which Linux should be used to host a database on a notebook?

Hello friends I would want to host a personal database server so that I can have all the details of my contacts since I run my own business and I have allot of personal contacts to handle and having that on my mobile will certainly be not a good choice as there is every possibility of phone to get lost somewhere. So I am looking forward to have this database on a laptop that is running linux operating system on it. So I would want to know that which laptop should I use and which would be the best distros that I should go for, please provide with relevant information as I would want enough security.

Re: Which Linux should be used to host a database on a notebook?

Hey dear friend if you are going to use that laptop for performing various computing task that will have to connect the laptop to the unauthorized sites or sites that cannot be trusted then I guess that you might be faced with problems involving security. I think that since this database is a very important element to you so I guess that you will have to make sure that the external interface of the database is secure. You should use any laptop and any kind of Linux distros that you want but it is important that the laptop is well protected with the anti virus and protected firewall on you laptop.

I am also hosting a database and using Dell Latitude laptop with ubuntu 9.04 running on it. You can even use the 10.10 version of the ubuntu as well if you want to be very secure. The laptop that I have using is having 3 GB RAM and 64-bit dual core 2.6GHz processor. You can choose any memory size hard disk that you want depending upon how much data you will be hosting. I think that My SQL or Oracle11i will certainly be a good option if you want to store huge amount of data. Since the processing speed of the insertion and the retrieval of data becomes fast and you will even get a view of you entire database in different styles which ever you want. Also, you can use the like query to retrieve any particular information provided to you like if you only have the name starting with J then you can search for all the contacts with J and search for what you want from that J list.

Hey guys I am also looking for hosting a database on my linux based operating system and I would want to use MS Access to carry out the database operation. I would like to do this because of the various functions that Ms Access offers and also it would be much easier to use this application than My SQL. This application provides various GPU to show the database and we can even generate any kind of reports that we want. More importantly if in the future I decided to use a software to install all the data that I want so having Access would be very easy to carry out the connection with the software. Since it is a Microsoft based product so I would want to know that is there any way to host it on Linux operating system.

Why don’t you use the Wine application that will help you to run the Microsoft based product on the linux operating system. Wine is a kind of emulator that helps us to run any of the Windows based application on the Linux based platform. You can easily download this software and then run it on the linux platform. So if you really want to use Ms Access then this is the only option that is available for you to carry out the process.