Thread: How to disable the password prompt feature while installing new software in linux

How to disable the password prompt feature while installing new software in linux

I am running linux mint 10 and I its been only two months since I have installed the operating system. I wanted to know the password prompt feature that is enabled in the linux mint when any software is newly installed, how to disable it? Do you have any idea regarding this. As of now i have no problems working with the linux mint I am happy working with it. I just wanted to know whether I can remove the password prompt feature I think it is not so necessary. As everytime we are prompted for the password during the software installation. So if you have any idea regarding this then do let me know.

Re: How to disable the password prompt feature while installing new software in linux

I think it is a great security feature of the Linux and I don’t think you must try removing it. With this feature you can possibly neglect all the threats that come from the outside world. This feature is not there in the windows operating system and hence you can see the attacks in the system. So it is always better to be safe by compromising with small adjustments. So my suggestion would be to go with such feature it will definitely help you.

Re: How to disable the password prompt feature while installing new software in linux

Well if you really want to disable such feature then I would advise you to go and check the different methods that are there to disable the particular feature In the Linux mint. However if you want then I can specify you a coding below what that will do is disable the password feature and it will never ask you for password the next time you do any operation. The coding is
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    This coding will enable the root login everywhere and hence will not ask for password anymore.

Well I really don’t think so windows operating system compromises on the security of the system. So it is always better to do some research on the internet then telling anything about the windows. I would like to say that password prompt is the verification feature of the Linux and it has used it in various installation packages of its system. So my advice would be to go with the password prompt feature. In case you don’t need it then you disable it by following the method given above and always turn your firewall on in order to prevent attacks. So I hope you have got the necessary solution.

That was indeed a great help from your side. Thanks for all the suggestions that you have given. I know that feature is used particularly for the security of the system but it very annoying everytime for the entry of the password. So I thought it is best to remove such feature. I tried with the coding and it has helped me a lot. So thanks a lot for the coding information and also the other necessary information that you have given here.