Thread: How to install themes in linux mint 10

How to install themes in linux mint 10

I recently switched to the linux mint operating system. I really love its features and also its performance. I had windows 7 earlier and also I have gone through ubuntu also but none of them impressed me. However I must admit that I am not thorough with the working of my operating system and I am learning new things everyday about the linux mint. I use software manager to install various programs in the linux mint. Now I need to know how to install themes in the linux mint. Since I have searched the internet for the various themes but I could not find any new one that could impress me. So do give me more information on where can I get some new themes and how to install it in my system?

Re: How to install themes in linux mint 10

Well getting the themes is quite simple these days and you can have a look at each and every themes in various websites like gnome art and various other themes website. What you have to do is download the particular theme and install it in the system accordingly. Well your question regarding how to install it in the system then go to the system and select preferences and then select the appearance and select the different desktop theme that you want in the system. Hope you have got the necessary solution.

Well my advice would be to download the linux mint glass suite. This would be a very good theme for your system and it is becoming quite popular with all the linux users. Well let me explain you the steps of installation in detail
    1) After you have downloaded the particular file in your system, then save the file and right click on it and extract the contents.
    2) After extracting you will get all the contents of the theme in a particular folder. You will get the gdm theme.
    3) Save the particular theme in a home directory.
    4) After that go o the menu, then administration and login window.
    5) After that you will get many tabs go to the local tab and then click on add button.
    6) After that search for the particular location of the file where you have saved it and select it then the theme will get installed.
    7) After that you will have to activate the gnome splash. For that go to the menu and select the preference and select the splash menu. Accordingly the splash screen manager will open and you will have to follow the steps and at lat you will have to browse to find the *.png file of gnome splash.
    8) Select the activate option and you will be done.
    I hope you have got the necessary solution.

Well the solution for the installation of the theme is quite simple. I will give you a step by step detail on how to install the themes in it
    1) You will have to go to the menu to select the preference option of the theme. Select the preference accordingly for the theme.
    2) Then go to the appearance.
    3) At the top right you will get the option of install themes you just have to go and navigate to the particular theme that you have extracted in the system.
    4) So once you have selected the theme install it by selecting ok and you are done.
    5) The message will appear that the installation was done with tout any error.
    So I hope you have got the necessary solution.

Hey thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone. Well I got the appropriate solutions from everyone. I tried downloading the theme and carried on with the steps that were suggested by you and I was successful in installing the themes. So thanks a lot for the suggestions that you have given it was a great efforts from your side in helping me out with the solution. I have installed the glass theme that was suggested by you.