Thread: Unable to uninstall Wine

Unable to uninstall Wine

Hey friend I have got this Wine Emulator software on my computer system running Linux operating system, I am using this to run the Microsoft based applications on my system. Last night when I decided to uninstall this application so as usual I decided to drag and drop that application onto the trash, but I was getting some error saying this application cannot be removed because it is run by other application. So can any one help me to know how to get rid of this application as i rally dont want any more on my system.

Re: Unable to uninstall Wine

Hey I think that while you were using wine application you might have got some of the executable files of this application deleted due to some reason and that is why you are unable to remove this application from the system. Just like any software requires all the files to get it install completely in the system, the same way the software should contain all the files to carry out the uninstalltion process. So I think that because of the files that have missing it would be giving you this error. Now to solve this you might require that you again carry out the installation of the same software or you can even update the software and once any of this is done you can carry out the removal of the software by dragging and dropping on the trash folder.

Hey friend, why don't you try and remove the application by going in the setup file of this software and from there trying to uninstall it. I think that directly dragging and dropping might be causing some error and I think that using this method might e able to solve all the problem. So why don't you give it a try and see what happens, I hope that solutions works for you.

Hey friends thanks for your quick reply, but I guess that your suggestion haven't worked for me. i have tried both the methods but using both of them is giving me the same error.I have really got frustrated with this application as I am running to find the solution to remove but still unable to get any of those. I don't want to format my system, if someone knows some other way to remove this please help me to overcome my problem.

I think that I have got your solution, the error that you are getting simply suggest what is wrong with the application. The error suggest that it is unable to delete because some other application have been using this software, and because you want to run Microsoft based application on you Linus operating system, so I think that application is still running and utilizing this software which is why you are unable to delete the software. So to delete i completely you might require to first remove the software that are been running using wine and then go forward with the removal of Wine application.

Hey friend if you are using a Debian based distribution that is Ubuntu that contains a package manager like Synaptic package manger, then you can find for wine and directly command it to completely remove it. Once you have done this then you should go to your home folder and click on View and select Show Hidden Files and folders. Over there you should search for .wine folder and you can erase that folder to remove the file completely.