Thread: OS installation Help

OS installation Help

My system is an Acer Aspire M3641, simply out of the box and never opened before. I have been getting a lot of BSOD's lately (Long Story) and when my Vista installation totally broke down I was forced to do a clean install of my whole system.

When I inserted the XP SP3 x86 installation disc (which works) it worked untill the message: Setup is starting windows, after which I got a BSOD. This was before I did any googling.

I figured my system was even more dead then I thought so I decided to run KillDisk via Hiren's BCD. After the wipe I didn't expect any trouble since my computer is totally clean but I had the same problem. Then I injected a Win7 Ulti dvd and it only showed a black sreen and a blinking cursor. So after two failed attempts I did some googling and came to the conclusion it could be driver related.

Now I have a few questions, is this driver related? And so yes, what drivers do I need and how can I use them with the installation. I don't have a floppy drive and only 1 cd-drive.

I read somewhere that the BSOD had to do with my SATA settings in BIOS. Any ideas there?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: OS installation Help

There may be some problem with the installation CD that you are using to install the operating system. It may not be burned properly and so it is giving you such problems. If that is the case for you then you can try to make a new bootable operating system CD and try to install it from this CD. If that does not work then you can consider other things like driver and all. Good Luck!!!

I was wondering if an installation from a USB stick would work since my computer has no drivers at all. I did load something from Hiren's Boot Disc which looked like USB support but I can't be sure.

There are several reason for the BSOD error. So it is better if you wil provide us the exact error which you are getting. The first that i will advise you is to update the BIOS of your system which causes the same issue. After that disconnect all the hardware (Graphic Card, PCI Card etc.) from system and boot only with the Hard Disk and Board. Now try to install the Windows again and see whether the error resolve or not.

Thought I should mention I succesfully installed Win7. Installed it via a USB stick. Thanks for the help anyway.

XeeGen