Thread: How to update Knoppix custom kernel

How to update Knoppix custom kernel

I have installed on my old laptop a Knoppix from the year 2007. Now I would like to update the Linux kernel and do not know exactly how to do that. First, I must say that the laptop is so old that he has no Internet connection. However, it has a USB port, so I can pull data over from my computer. Would someone explain me how I should proceed? So please give me solution for this so that I proceed on this.

Re: How to update Knoppix custom kernel

Does it have a CD / DVD drive? If so, it is the easiest solution if you'll downloading and called together another computer, a new Knoppix and then the new you on your Laptop touches down. As for the internet connection I once even any question: Has it built any LAN card? So please provide these information so that I can try to give you better solution on this.

So if you have most recently update without completely going you could compile the latest kernel or at least a newer or compiled and then simply download the two large files, it must be replaced I think. Otherwise just play on it new system. Play with the new system is the safest method. Compiled kernel itself can run unstable. Therefore it's easier in Knoppix and also you can for again.

You must complete development environment of the Knoppix can do. And Knoppix is just bad in the system update. This is a system which will be copied down to the disk from the CD / DVD and cannot (but is has a bad in taste). So at best buy this notebook a PCMCIA network card. This works best. Wireless network via USB and I would make a Linux amateur. Sorry I classed you as Linux laity. Only compile kernel is a tricky thing. One can choose anything but you can also switch off everything. So rather select precompiled kernel.

I have read the previous post and related to this I want to say that Go to a computer store and see what you can get PCMCIA cards for the old kernel in 2005. So that your system will automatically recognize. Then download Ubuntu netinstall or a DVD / CD image and install. Please provide accurate data from your laptop online
    • Processor
    • RAM
    • HDD
    • Connections

If you still have windows on the laptop on it then you can also install Ubuntu under Windows in an image and start over. One can also transfer via USB to the system. You can also search these times on Google. You can then run Windows and Linux. This is probably the best option. The speed of the image of the direct hard disk installation is hardly noticeable.