Thread: Windows 7 periodic lag

Windows 7 periodic lag

Hey just posted recently. It was actually the solution to my mac.

anyways I sold that laptop because it's ancient. Just wanted it fixed so I could retrieve my files.

Anyways bought my new Dell XPS 17 which has Windows 7 installed with 2 partitions (each roughly 450gb) with 2 graphics cards (one onboard the motherboard and the nVidia one for greater demands). I've noticed that it periodically slows down for about 2-3 sconds every 2-5 minutes whenever I use VLC media player or whenever I play a game. It's not major but it's a nuisance I want to get rid off. Anyone got any clues on the issue?

DxDiag:

Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System : Dell XPS L702
    Processor : Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz (8CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory : 6144MB RAM
    DirectX 11
    Graphics : Onboard intel HD graphics
    nVidia GT 555m (I think...)

Anyways as you might be able to tell I have no clue how to see my other graphics card. I had seen it once but ... can't remember how....

Anyways. Any help is much appreciated

Re: Windows 7 periodic lag

By looking at the technical specs of Dell XPS 17 it seems like it comes with either NVIDIA GeForceĀ® GT445M 3072 MB or NVIDIA GeForceĀ® GT435M 1024 MB or both? Download a tool called Cpuz to get the proper specs of the dell laptop, cause it seems confusing to me as well. After that download the appropriate and latest driver of the NVIDIA graphics card and install it on your machine. Try to launch the game and see if it still lags or not.

I'm not wrong. CPUz doesn't work and it's just created more nuisance by clogging up my browser, but I found a way to check the card. It's an nVidia Geforce GT555m. I'm going to back up my system and then update the drivers. If anyone else thinks they know what it is please let me know.

The nVidia card should only be utilised for graphic intensive games. I don't understand why there is periodic slows when watching a normal quality video through VLC media player.

Can you provide following details?
    Do you have tried with any other media player likes Windows Media player? Is issue happening while playing music on the system? What is happening when you are playing video games?
    Apart from installing the latest version of graphic card drivers I recommend that you should install the latest version of DirectX on the system and see whether it is working or not.

It's a bit odd really. I didn't notice the issue at all until I used VLC media player (I had used windows media player before). Then I noticed it while playing Minecraft. The system just lags really. The sound as well goes extremely slow and off tune and the screen slows too. It only lasts about 2 seconds. I checked which graphics card is being used for the applications. It's the nVidia by default. For some reason it's not really done it today. If it is software then I don't know which software. It's a fresh installation of Windows 7 on a fresh XPS. I've got that Stage thing, the weather, automatic dell system backup (I haven't backed up yet), McAfee security. Only other thing running that I've installed is Flashgot DL manager. Nothing was downloading when the lags were occuring.

I installed a windows 7 optional update that seemed to alleviate it. I don't know for sure though because I installed the update yesterday and it still happened a couple of times. Nothing has happened today despite playing through a game.

Sorry I know it's vague just saying 'there is lag and it could be from anything' but that's pretty much my situation. If I had any clue what was causing it, I would point to it. My own personal opinion points to Windows 7 itself but maybe someone else has had a similar problem and knows what causes it.

Thanks for any help

Oh forgot to mention. I haven't played music from a music file yet. I have played youtube videos and noticed the problem. I'll test out some music files today
    Last edited by Dazed89; 21-12-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Well, which browsers do you use to view youtube videos. I suppose it will be good if you upgrade all your graphics driver, sound driver to the latest and also update to the latest web browser available on the net and see if the streaming video problem of youtube fades away. What all programs have you installed in your dell. You could also try to select which startup applications you want by going into msconfig and choosing as per your choice.

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums, but I have exactly the same problem. I have the same xps17, with same processor, same video card, only difference is I have 4gigs of ram. For me the lag also occurs when I open up new programs like windows explorer or an internet browser.

I also do not know what could be causing it exactly, my first guess was also that it had something to do with video drivers, but after an update i didn't see any improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Florre4 View Post
    I'm new to these forums, but I have exactly the same problem. I have the same xps17, with same processor, same video card, only difference is I have 4gigs of ram. For me the lag also occurs when I open up new programs like windows explorer or an internet browser.

I also do not know what could be causing it exactly, my first guess was also that it had something to do with video drivers, but after an update i didn't see any improvements.
    It might be that you could have a sub-process or application that's running in the background and taking all the CPU resources periodically. To find and display what could be the problem try Process Explorer:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx. Once you have Process Explorer installed and running check in its process tree and the show lower pane options and look for any high CPU usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed89 View Post
    It's a bit odd really. I didn't notice the issue at all until I used VLC media player (I had used windows media player before). Then I noticed it while playing Minecraft. The system just lags really. The sound as well goes extremely slow and off tune and the screen slows too. It only lasts about 2 seconds. I checked which graphics card is being used for the applications. It's the nVidia by default. For some reason it's not really done it today. If it is software then I don't know which software. It's a fresh installation of Windows 7 on a fresh XPS. I've got that Stage thing, the weather, automatic dell system backup (I haven't backed up yet), McAfee security. Only other thing running that I've installed is Flashgot DL manager. Nothing was downloading when the lags were occuring.

I installed a windows 7 optional update that seemed to alleviate it. I don't know for sure though because I installed the update yesterday and it still happened a couple of times. Nothing has happened today despite playing through a game.

Sorry I know it's vague just saying 'there is lag and it could be from anything' but that's pretty much my situation. If I had any clue what was causing it, I would point to it. My own personal opinion points to Windows 7 itself but maybe someone else has had a similar problem and knows what causes it.

Thanks for any help

Oh forgot to mention. I haven't played music from a music file yet. I have played youtube videos and noticed the problem. I'll test out some music files today
    I have exactly the same issue. My Brand New Dell XPS 17 (bought it 3 days ago) have lags whenever playing music (not VLC) on any software. I did not play any games yet, but it is quite annoying. I thing it's Dell fault and they still did not do anything... here is similar thread (concerning audio issue of Dell xps 15z). As far as I am concern, many users of ANY Dell XPS (15,17 or 15z) have audio issues, and still did not find the way how to repair it.